madchemist83

Distinguished
Hello

I'm looking for a best cooler for i5-2500k CPU.
Three requirements:
1. It have to be not taller then 150mm
2. It have to be pretty quiet
3. It have to cost no more then $40

Thank you

alan1476

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I have been a systems builder for 20 years. It is apparent to me that the old air cooling devices are almost obsolete now for the enthusiast. If you are talking about someone who just uses the Internet, doesn't OC or use intensive programs, or game at all, maybe those old fashioned air coolers will do , but now that you have enclosed water cooling, that anyone with half a brain can install, your Xigmatech SD963 is just not sufficient. Laugh all you want but if you are an enthusiast and want a cooler that will cover all the bases you are not right. Have a nice day. And you are right , I guess there are only a few experts on this part of the forum and anyone who gives advice against an enclosed loop is just not right.

madchemist83

Distinguished
I said 40$ do u comprehend it?
If u can't give me suggestion at all why even waste my time and post ?
Liquid coolers are loud and have a probability of leaking.
Idk what world u been too but air cooling is pretty sufficient ... real enthusiast go with liquid nitrogen btw ...
sorry u wasted 20 years of ur life

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
The Arctic Cooling 13 and 7 series would meet your height requirement and are $35-$45 on newegg.

I have the Freezer 7 (92mm) w/ PWM and it is decent at full fan speed. It isn't the greatest overclocking cooler but it gets the job done. It also comes with Arctic MX-4 TIM.

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
On the Arctic cooling website, they claim that the Freezer 13 produces 0.5 sones @2000rpm and the Freezer 7 produces 0.5 sones @2250rpm.

I am not to familiar with a sone unit of measurement but apparently the internets is telling me that 1 sone is 40 dB so the fans seem to be very quiet.

My Freezer 7 maxes out at 2560rpm and only hits that speed when cooling my slightly overclocked Q9550 at full load and I dont think its too loud. My video card is definitely louder. I am usually reading a book while running Prime95 and it doesn't bother me.

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Yea it might be a couple degrees centigrade hotter than some of the best known coolers but it will be tough to beat in the less than 150mm height category.

I was just looking at the Zalman website and you might be able to drop a Zalman 9900 in there (height=152mm). The regular copper Zalman is priced around $50 but i have seen it on sale before. I have seen pretty good temp reviews for it. Not sure about sound though.

Now that you know you have 161mm clearance, a bigger hsf with a 120mm fan will be quieter, and dissipate heat better. The 212+ is still my suggestion, as well as the xigmatech gaia. Though they only have ~2mm clearance, if you want something a little shorter, the gelid tranquillo is better than the freezer 13 and it's 153mm high @ $40. There are some better hsfs at $50 if you are willing to go higher, though my original suggestions are better bang/buck.

madchemist83

Distinguished
thank you all
now i'm thinking of swapping case ... any recommendations?
I'm looking for something in that price range (~$60)
also Shinobi looks really good
I don't want case with window as it's seating under my desk and I need one with great airflow and material quality ... also no need for front USB 3.0 ports

radioactvman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Yea I agree, if it will fit go with CM 212. The performance/price ratio is so high that its unbeatable.

This is a bit out of your price range but the cases that Corsair has been cranking out lately are my favorites. The new Carbide 400R is $99 and its the business.

Antec and CoolerMaster have a lot of options in your price range and they usually have pretty good airflow. The two other things I look for now are a CPU backplate cutout so heatsinks can be removed and installed w/o removing the mobo and decent cable management options behind the mobo backplate.

G

I know that best would be the akasa venom new version because its the newest thing goning right now and that there last version did pretty good 2quarter of 2010.

madchemist83

Distinguished

Yeah I was thinking of HAF 912 but BitFenix Shinobi offers alot of space too

Also I preffer PSU bottom mounted cases