Can't get Wireless-N from Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Status
Not open for further replies.

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Got Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN in my laptop but I'm not getting wireless-N speeds (only 54 Mbps/wireless-G). My router is wireless-N (D-Link DIR-655) and my desktop using a Ralink RT2870 USB adapter is connecting just fine at wireless-N (270 Mbps). I tried all modes on the router for wireless-N (mixed mode bgn, mixed mode gn and n only) and nothing. Actually the WiFi Link 1000 BGN wouldn't connect at all when the router was in n only mode. In the NIC's properties I made sure "802.11n Mode" is set to Enabled and I toggled the "802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4" setting between 20 MHz only and Auto and still I only get G speeds.

The latest drivers are installed for the WiFi Link 1000 (13.0.0.107).

Any ideas?

mblits

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
exactly the same issue with different router and new laptop. Old laptop is capable seeing of n mode (both 2.4 and 5.0 will show up as wireless connections). Called router support who told me to talk to notebook mfg. Called them, clueless support guy, did a conference call with both manufacturers. To make a long story short: (y)our adapter: Intel wifi link 1000 bgn is not capable of 5ghz. There is an N mode for 2.4ghz which makes it confusing thinking it's 5ghz, but it's just 2.4ghz. You can read more about it on wikipedia.

sorry. The 'solution' provided was buy an external adapter (or upgrade your computer).

I quickly looked online and found:
Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
PCMCIA Card 2.4GHz and 5GHz Bands 802.11n 802.11g 802.11a 802.11b

This just slides in as pcmcia and on the website I looked at, it cost $62. You can look around for better and/or cheaper ones.

Hope this helps you and other frustrated users. (I just bought 2 brand new HP laptops and the wireless adapters weren't capable of 5ghz where my 3 year old Dell was: go figure).

Regards,
Manny

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I did a lil' searching on Intel's forums and similar model NICs have the same issue (with the same router). The fix lies in enabling WPA2/AES or enabling QoS or enabling WMM or a combination of two of these or all of them. I haven't had a chance to try any of these fixes yet though.

@mblits: I believe the NIC and router are both 2.4 GHz, so I doubt the 2.4 GHz/5 GHz thing is the problem here

kalyan84

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Came to the same conclusion, with my new HP laptop. The intel Link 1000 BGN works only at 2.4 ghz freq, where as my 4 yr old laptop's intel based wifi card had capability to operate at 5 ghz. I wish i had found this post before spending 3 hrs with HP support

G

i had the exactly the same problem.

The original setup on 655 was WPA-TKIP

My solution was to use WPA2-AES.

hope it helps

md-tech

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I have a Dell xps- L502x w/ intel wifi link 1000 bgn.
I have had problems from day one. Dell has sent a new computer, but w/ the same wireless adapter same problem. All drivers have been verified as the latest. Dell online support has changed a setting on my router to allow it to connect (I believe it was the mixed mode bgn. which it already was, he just took it off and then back on). This worked for about two days.

There are 14 wireless devices in my home. 13 connect with no problems at all. This computer has an issue. I then added a usb wireless adapter (bgn) installed it. This wireless nic works perfectly.

My conclusion, unless someone can explain why the setting should be reset over again to get the intel wifi link 1000 to finally connect then I think the adapter is a worthless device. I have seen several forums with this nic in computers of different computers having the same issue. Some say change the encryption to get it to work consistently. That will not work for some my other devices.

breecher

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Set the Router to use ONLY AES. TKIP may limit router to 54Mbps , and appears to confuse intel. Go figure.
Usually looks something like
WAP2-PSK [AES]

I had same issue. Anonymous said the same thing and was correct.
Using the TKIP and AES setting seems like it should work, but in my experience is it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.