Sign in with
Your question

9800GT

Last response: in Overclocking
September 17, 2011 11:10:51 AM

Hello fellas!
I've bought a used 9800GT, and the graphic card generates half of the heat of normal 9800GT.
The GPU, at idle is like 38c, and under load, the temp is around 47c, max 50c...
When I Overclock the memory, and then when I open GPU-Z, I get Blue Screen of death, any ideas what could be going on? I'm increasing the memory clock from 900 mhz to 1100 mhz, which is quite OK if you're asking me, i'm using EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner.

What's going on? At 1005 MHz, seems OK, but more than that, BSOD when I open GPU Z...

More about : 9800gt

September 17, 2011 11:36:33 AM

I'm not a big proponent for overclocking memory in general. I'm furthur against overclocking gpu memory; if you mess up your memory for your video card, you pretty much have no option except to buy a new video card. I'm in favor of overclocking cpu though. Since most new cpus are (almost) the same, you can get high performance from a lower cost cpu by overclocking. the performance gains you get from overclocking a video card is marginal at best (I don't have any problem with overclocking the processing part of the video card, but like I said, performance gains are not really noticible).

Also, when you overclock a cpu, you can run torture tests to verify stability and be fairly confident you have a stable cpu overclock and see a real world increase in performance. With GPU's though, you begin artifacting in games, and you won't really see real world performance gains.
September 17, 2011 11:38:34 AM

sepayne21 said:
I'm not a big proponent for overclocking memory in general. I'm furthur against overclocking gpu memory; if you mess up your memory for your video card, you pretty much have no option except to buy a new video card. I'm in favor of overclocking cpu though. Since most new cpus are (almost) the same, you can get high performance from a lower cost cpu by overclocking. the performance gains you get from overclocking a video card is marginal at best (I don't have any problem with overclocking the processing part of the video card, but like I said, performance gains are not really noticible).

Also, when you overclock a cpu, you can run torture tests to verify stability and be fairly confident you have a stable cpu overclock and see a real world increase in performance. With GPU's though, you begin artifacting in games, and you won't really see real world performance gains.

I have a CPU that is not good overclocker, also, overclocking it won't make me feel any difference, since it never goes to 100% usage now.
!