January 25, 2010 4:40:53 PM

can a core 2 duo processor support both ddr1 and ddr2 ram
January 25, 2010 5:16:20 PM

good luck finding ddr1 ram
m
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 6:01:52 PM

Maybe, but I don't know of any boards for C2Ds that have DDR RAM slots. C2D are generally supported by DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. I think gigbyte made a C2D board with slots for both types of DDR, but you could not use both types together. DDR RAM generally supports Intel socket 478 boards (and some AMD CPUs).
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2010 6:23:16 PM

There is one motherboard out there that i know of that will support both DDR1 and 2 on the 775 socket. It's an ASRock. ASRock 775Twins-HDTV. Unless you have a motherboard that specifically states that it will run DDR1, then the modules will not even physically fit.

Short answer - Yes.
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:00:32 PM

The answer you are looking for is:

It is never a good idea to mix ram types. The faster ram will operate at the speed of the slower ram--negating any performance increase you would see from having more ram.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 7:40:00 PM

The memory controller on 775 boards like the C2Duo is on the motherboard, not the CPU, so it's the motherboard that determines the supported memory standard(s). Anyway, there are boards that will allow you to use DDR1 or DDR2 memory, but I don't believe there are any that would allow you to use both at the same time. I should also point out that boards that support two memory standards offer slightly lower performance than boards that only support one. So, the same Core 2 Duo in a board that accepts both DDR1 and DDR2 would perform worse with DDR1 than a board that only supported DDR1, and the same goes for DDR2.
m
l
January 25, 2010 8:45:13 PM

deadlockedworld said:
The answer you are looking for is:

It is never a good idea to mix ram types. The faster ram will operate at the speed of the slower ram--negating any performance increase you would see from having more ram.

hahahaha what are you even trying to say?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 10:09:52 PM

Yes, there is one motherboard that will take either DDR or DDR2 with a socket 775:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like it's either/or, though -- not both at once. And only 2GB max of either kind of RAM. And you'll be stuck with AGP graphics cards, or else PCIe x4.

So ... the answer is yes, but it's not really a very good idea.
m
l
February 4, 2010 4:30:10 PM

hi,im using HCL motherboard,now currently im using ddr2 ram in it but i also hav ddr1 each 1 gb and i hav 2 slots for both ddr1 and 2 ur sayin dat it wil not support then wat is d purpose of giving such slots,im using p4 processor now if i upgrade to core 2 duo whether it wil support or not or any other suggestions
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:14:22 PM

No, it won't make a difference what your CPU is -- you can still use either kind of memory.

If a motherboard has two different types of memory slots, that almost always means it can support either one, but not both at the same time. I don't really think it's that great of an idea either, but maybe some people buy boards like that because they want to keep using their old RAM for the short term and upgrade to new RAM later.
m
l
September 21, 2011 10:12:42 AM

i hav an intel pentium 4 processor wid DDR 2 memory..i wanted to upgrade it to core2duo..but i juz wanted to buy the core2duo chip..is that possible??or do i hav to buy a new motherboard too???will it work on a DDR 2 memory motherboard??
m
l
!