Would you like to see regular \"If skora had...\" threads?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I can\'t believe I just wasted 45 seconds of my life reading this!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
One of my favorite ways to waste time on the net is build virtual systems in shopping carts and read reviews on stuff I don't know. That's why I love hanging out here and helping others spend their money. I learn alot researching the questions asked and seeing others responses and how they differ from what I thought.

What I am thinking of doing is posting my virtual builds based on the best deals at that time. The theme and budget will change from thread to thread. It will be a mock System Builder Marathon without being able to benchmark the actual systems. Some ideas might follow:

If skora had $1000 to build an intel system.

If skora had $1200 to build an AMD system.

If skora had to build a budget WoW system

and so on and so forth. I might even take request. This could be good fun to debate certain choices over others and we could all learn doing that. I'd start a new thread as my time allows and once the previous thread dies down a bit, so it won't be overloaded with 9 on the first page cuz I had nothing better to do than stay up all night building systems on newegg.

I think this also fits in with rockyjohn's idea here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269147-31-modest-suggestions-improving-home-built-sytem-forum
It would be good just to have say a sticky for an $800 WoW system that we could update as new parts come out or pricing schemes change so we can just link to the post instead of having to hunt through newegg and find all the parts again.

And i agree with you about helping other people with their systems, its amazing how much you learn just reading through people's advice on builds and trying to find good parts for a certain purpose.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If this takes, we could have a "If skora had...." index sticky and then let the individual builds be a regular thread.

I must have missed rockyjohns post. That is crazy for both to show up 2 hours apart.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
A build debate? Can't hurt as long as everyone keeps it respectful. If the system doesn't need to be upgraded, socket 775 can serve a good role still.

Sounds good, most of us on here are capable of having a respectful academic discussion, there are some exceptions but there always are. It would actually serve as a good learning chance for everyone on this board.

I think this would be OK as long as you limit this kind of thread to about 2-5 threads each month. You could build systems that reflect the state of things at that time or for a specific game/app (ie CAD,CS4,etc). Just make sure you actually keep it to a real-like build (ie not spending $10k+).

it would provide a guide line for people to base their builds off of, sure combos change all the time but what type of processor is good for what price range and what graphics card is good for what resolution are constants as i doubt we will see a quad core become in the standard in $500 builds for a few years and a 4890 will always be way more than is needed for 720p.

Sure each one would need tweaking but atleast this way we wont have people with no idea as to what parts to look at.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

That's really what Proximon's guide does. I'm trying more to look at the deals and give people a realistic, this is how much computer you can get for $XX. (Nope, not going to put the third X, cuz you shouldn't be getting computer for that.) Try to head off the i7 for $900, I have nothing threads. These might be more frequent until a good base is built, but once there's a library of current balanced builds to work from, they will really taper off and just go with the price drops or super combos. I plan to list each component seperately, but for pricing, I do plan to use combo prices. When people are looking at these to buy, if they only see 790GX with DDR3 mobo, they could easily end up with a cas 9 kit. There are times that can work, if it means you can get more GPU or get a tri instead of a dual core. But I don't want to encrouch on Proximons work and more apply what he has there with living examples.