Your question
Solved

Cloning startup Raid0 SSDs problem

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 9, 2011 11:23:13 PM

I have listed my computer specs and set up at the end of this. I am not very computer knowledgeable.

My problem started off when I got the idea to clone my Raid0 SSDs startup disks to a 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA hard drive. I have not been able to do it, and have no idea where the problem is.

I have two hard drives that I thought I could just put into the “hot swap” bays on the computer, one being a 1 TB Samsung HD and the other being a 500 GB Caviar Blue WD drive (which works fine when I put it in an external USB case).

Without either drive, the Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management menu shows:
C: Simple, Basic, NFTS, Healthy, 214 GB
E: and F: are from a 1 TB internal hard drive, both are Healthy
and below this:
Disk 0 Basic 214 GB Online
Disk 1 Basic 931 GB Online
CD-ROM

When I install the 1 TB drive into a hot swap bay, it seems to work fine though I do get some sort of installing driver message on the screen. The Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management menu shows as above with the addition of:
at the top
G: Simple Basic NTFS Healthy 931GB
and below
Disk2 Basic 931 GB Online

When I install the 500 GB drive in a hot swap bay, I get a “Device Driver software was not successfully installed” message and the drive does not show up in the Disk Management area (it won’t show up in the BIOS SATA area as the hot swap bays are connected to a Marvell controller and for some reason drives in those bays do not show up in the BIOS as far as I can see).

When I install the 500 GB drive using my one remaining 3GB SATA port, I sitll get a “Device Driver Software was not successfully installed” message, but the drive does show up in the SATA list in the BIOS, and it does show up in the Disk Management area where I can format it and I can copy files to it. However, when I try to run the Acronis True Image Clone program, the program gives me a “need reboot” message, but rebooting does not allow the clone to take place.

I am not sure why the drive will not mount when it is placed in a hot swap bay, and I am not sure why I cannot use it to clone my startup SSDs.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit (upgrade from Windows Vista)
CM Haf X EATX Case
P8P67 Deluxe MB with i7 2600K
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB X 2
Seasonic X750
Sapphire Radeon 6950
ASUS 24X SATA DVD Writer
OCZ Vertex2 SSD 120 GB X2....set as RAID0 and computer boots fine from them
WD Black SATA3 1 TB

SATA cable set up:
1. Navy Blue Marvel 6GB/sec X2: each to a hot swap hard drive bay
2. Grey Intel 6 GB X2: each to a 120 GB SSD
3. Light Blue 3 GB X4: one to DVD writer, one to front panel eSATA port, one to internal WD SATA3 1TB drive, one not used

EFI BIOS set up

Intel Boot Priority: Intel Volume 0 then ASUS DRW

BIOS version: 1503 X64

BIOS Advanced:
1. SATA Configuration
SATA Mode....RAID Mode
SATA6G_1...OCZ-Vertex2
SATA6G_2...OCZ-Vertex2
SATA3G_3...Not present (goes to front panel eSATA)
SATA3G_4...DRW-24
SATA3G_5...Not present
SATA3G_6...WDC 1 TB HD

2. Onboard Device Configuratoin
Marvell Storage Controller....Enabled
Marvell Storage OPROM.....Enabled
JMB Storage Controller.....Enabled
JMB Storage OPROM.....Enabled
Display Option ROM in POST.....Enabled

More about : cloning startup raid0 ssds problem

a c 153 G Storage
May 13, 2011 11:44:43 PM

Your computer knowledge is definitely above average!

Try performing the cloning by connection the HDD to a SATA port (leave the hot swap bays alone).
m
l
May 14, 2011 5:55:26 PM

Ubrales said:
Your computer knowledge is definitely above average!

Try performing the cloning by connection the HDD to a SATA port (leave the hot swap bays alone).

Thanks very much for your reply. I did try that and still had the same problems in that I still get the driver missing message, and the program doing the cloning still pauses with a message that the system needs to be rebooted and doing that just leads to the same result.

What I am going to try next is to buy a pristine copy of Windows 7 (the one I have now is one that updates to Windows 7 from a previous Windows version) and remove all the hard drives except the 500 GB drive on a SATA connection, and then I am going to try starting the computer with just that drive and installing Windows on it.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 24, 2011 2:52:48 AM

Problem solved by not using a Raid0 set up. I can live without the speed.
m
l

Best solution

a c 153 G Storage
May 24, 2011 5:13:34 AM

VBS6935 said:
Problem solved by not using a Raid0 set up. I can live without the speed.

Wise decision! RAID 0 (striping) is bad news anyway. For data, RAID 1 is OK. However, you must do regular backups. RAID is not a substitute for backup.
May 24, 2011 4:52:26 PM

Best answer selected by VBS6935.
m
l
a c 153 G Storage
May 24, 2011 7:13:39 PM

Thank you!
m
l