Water cooling for RV03 case

p3nca

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
what would be the best water cooling setup i could get for about $300AU
I am running an i7 2600k, and I plan on overclocking
I also currently have a gigabyte GTX 560 ti SOC and might go SLI with this GPU.
is there any way that i could liquid cool my cpu and gpu?
also, would i possibly need a more powerful PSU to support water cooling (current one is 850W)

thanks, Owen

specs:
i7 2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
ASUS VE247H
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Super Overclock 950MHz
crucial m4 64gb
Samsung SH-222AB
Silverstone Raven RV03 with Window
Corsair TX-850 V2
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS

Solution
I like mine so far. Small drives mount behind the MB panel which is ... different but I don't think it's any better. You get more 5.25 bays, but every one below the top bay has a fan mount in it that you have to remove first. PSU mounts easier and makes it easier to reach the front drives, but the cable coming out the bottom can be problematic. But unless you really need that 8th slot or have your drives reaching into the MB section, I'm not sure it's worth the cost and trouble of switching cases.

I was considering switching cases in April, but I wanted to wait to see if it could cool any better than the RV02 (had i7-930 + 3xGTX 470s on air). By the time reviews started coming out, I'd sold my platform for my i5-2500K + 6950 and...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
$300AU is about $305US...so very close.

For about that (depending on where you are shopping + shipping costs) you could do a CPU+GPU loop for about $300 or so. If you are planning on running SLI for sure, you might wish to plan for that now...but would also require you to evaluate your budget if you wanted to include everything.

As for PSU...you should be fine with PSU as long as it's meeting your needs with room to spare. Your pump really won't draw a lot of power, but if you were within 80-85% of maximum load, you may consider something bigger....however, I don't think you really are.

How is the RV03? I thought about selling my RV02 a while ago to get it.

IMO the 850W should be fine. A 560ti + i7 stock only draws ~500W in reality, so SLI 560Tis + i7 OC + a few watts on the pump should be ok for the Corsair.

Definitely plan for SLI even if you only have the slightest inkling that you may want to do it. It was sort of a pain for me to add my second 6950 2GB. I wish I had known about Koolance's quick disconnect fittings (QDCs) before I built mine.

I like mine so far. Small drives mount behind the MB panel which is ... different but I don't think it's any better. You get more 5.25 bays, but every one below the top bay has a fan mount in it that you have to remove first. PSU mounts easier and makes it easier to reach the front drives, but the cable coming out the bottom can be problematic. But unless you really need that 8th slot or have your drives reaching into the MB section, I'm not sure it's worth the cost and trouble of switching cases.

p3nca

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
sorry about the wait, the rv03 is going good. temperatures are fine, but if i do liquid cooling i would probably have to do an external mount. overall i think its a pretty awesome case, i just dont like the gold stripes.

p3nca

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
what sort of overclock would i be looking at if i went with a corsair H80? my situation has changed because i now need to buy a new iphone. i was hoping for an overclock to about 4.5ghz.
the only reason im going liquid cooling is because i want to be able to fit 16gb of ram into my motherboard, i dont think that i would need a fully custom liquid cooling rig for that sort of overclock

I was considering switching cases in April, but I wanted to wait to see if it could cool any better than the RV02 (had i7-930 + 3xGTX 470s on air). By the time reviews started coming out, I'd sold my platform for my i5-2500K + 6950 and then had enough money to WC. The cabling has always been a little tough for the Raven. I wish the case were a bit taller to allow for more cable cutouts (and another set of fans for push-pull :) ).

sorry about the wait, the rv03 is going good. temperatures are fine, but if i do liquid cooling i would probably have to do an external mount. overall i think its a pretty awesome case, i just dont like the gold stripes.

Yeah a full WC loop does take a bit of work. My Raven RV02 build log is in this section, and I did have to drill some holes. Luckily the case comes with nice 3x120 rad mounts for the 180mm fans, which I just attached to the bottom of the case.

I personally like the gold stripes, but maybe that's because I'm a Boilermaker ;)

what sort of overclock would i be looking at if i went with a corsair H80? my situation has changed because i now need to buy a new iphone. i was hoping for an overclock to about 4.5ghz.
the only reason im going liquid cooling is because i want to be able to fit 16gb of ram into my motherboard, i dont think that i would need a fully custom liquid cooling rig for that sort of overclock

Ah yes, the RAM predicament. Had to ditch the second fan on my Hyper 212+ to fit my sticks in as well. My logical assumption would be that the H80 would be capable of supporting a 4.5GHz OC.

Solution

p3nca

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
thanks for the replies. how did you attatch the 120mm fan mounts onto the bottomof the case? did you have to drill holes? also what sort of liquid cooling system are you running? do you still have the dust filters on the bottom of the case?

Have a look at my build log. I wrote it up since there's very little information on custom watercooling using one of the Raven cases.

I did have to drill holes, but I mounted the the radiator on Silverstone's rad mounts and the fans on top. It's described a bit better in the log.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267276-29-completed-18sep2011-raven-rv02-build

TRENDING THREADS