Sign in with
Your question

Corrupted filetable or zapped files/hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2011 9:46:51 AM

This is the latest in a series of weird computer problems documented elsewhere, primarily here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268603-32-external-hard-drives-reverse-polarity-front-connector).

Basically, due to an inverted polarity of a USB front panel I had two seemingly dead external hard drives. As luck would have it one of the drives (put into a new enclosure) works GREAT. The other (Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB) is detected but declared 'Unallocated' by Disk Management (I'm using XP on a laptop to work with these drives at the moment). It's shown as being 'Unknown' and 'Not Initialized' as well. I am given the option of Initialize, which I have not done.

My suspicion is that the filetable could have become corrupted, however I'm completely unsure if it was zapped while plugged into the messed up USB port.

Thus far I have used Active@ Partition Recovery to see if I could scan anything. It found nothing. So at this point I'm wondering if trying to restore the partition (this drive had a single partition) seems less important than trying to get the files off one way or another.

Any thoughts?
a b G Storage
May 10, 2011 2:51:18 PM

Run WD's software diagnostic utility against the drive to see if it's healthy.

If it's ok then try Testdisk and/or Photorec.
m
l
May 10, 2011 9:18:37 PM

Thanks. It was kind of irrelevant to create this thread and I have no clue how to delete it. I have tried TestDisk with no luck but haven't looked into WD software yet so I'll give that a try.
m
l
Related resources
!