Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Hi,

I have the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
AsRock N7AD-SLI nForce 740i SLI Chipset
4 GB DDR2 Memory
nVidia GeForce 9800 GT

When ever I play a game or do something graphic intensive, the program / game I'm using, crashes or sometimes the entire system crashes. I've had this problem since I built the PC.

I did some testing using a program called FurMark which logs GPU temperatures as well, whenever the temperature reached 72/73 Celcius, the program crashed. Is 72/73 Celcius GPU temperatur that high?

Thanks

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008

How do I check the voltage for RAM?

Have a look in BIOS and see whether it's set to auto or not and then use something like HWmonitor (
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php ) to see what it sits at when in windoze.

Depending on the make of your modules the range can be between 1.78v (the lowest I can get mine to) and 2.20v (the highest I've gone) so check the manufactures website for specs. Some (not all, just some) SLi boards seem to like a bit more voltage to the RAM, especially if all the slots are populated.

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008

Thanks I'll do that.

----------

The crashes seem to random... I've tested the temps using FurMask and FanSpeed for half an hour the GPU temp went up to 88C and the CPU went up to 72C. There was no crash of program or system while testing. Really don't have a clue what's going on. I will do what mousemonkey suggested and report back.

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008

I can't find what the voltage should be neither on their website or in the manual? Will it be writen on the board itself?

The JEDEC standard for DDR2 RAM is 1.8v which is what the motherboard should default to, some won't run properly at that especially when OC'ing is involved and/or more than two slots are populated. There might be a sticker on the RAM modules themselves giving type, latency, speed etc.

Don't you mean GPU and if so the thermal limit for a 9800GT is around 100c, I'm basing this on the threshold of my 8800GT's which are pretty much the same thing.

i'm referring to this comment.

Sorry mate, I thought you were referring to the OP, 100°C is the melting point for an E8400 as reported by Everest although Inhell reckon it's 72.4°C so it should have shut down or melted or the tj max is higher than Inhell states. :??:

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
I've checked the DRAM voltage in the BIOS and it's set to Auto. There are options ranging from 1.76V to over 2.0V, there is no 1.8V though. The closest one is 1.85V. What should I change it to?

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks mousemonkey, I will try experiment with that. If I have any problems I will post back here. I appreciate the help I've found in this forum.

Kaiyaq

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Hello again,

After months of trying different things i'm back here again. i've concluded it's not a temperature problem because i've tried 3 cards now and none work perfectly. i've tried a 9400 gt and hd 4650 but they also crash randomly. After my attempt with the hd 4650 my pc hp not starting up normally. i have to go in safe mode. Could it be a Vista/driver issue? I've run out of ideas and need help urgently. Thanks