Potential shot motherboard?

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I was just on my web browser today, and then my problem started. The computer restarted. There was no chance on me hitting the reset button and nothing software related happened. As I was typing this, the computer shut down. When I tried to turn it on, it turned on, but within a few minutes was back off. I don't think that it is related to the power supply, but I did see a capacitor (i think) where the top was in a dome shape, with some slight browning to it. That is my guess as to what has caused the powering off. Would this seem logical, or should I further test my power supply? Or is there something else I should explore? I will say that both lights on my motherboard are green. this is the intel d850mv motherboard. 2.0ghz P4 processor, and 1.5gb RAMBUS ram.

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Will also add, the pc is much more slugish since the incident. i would be several words ahead of what is on the screen at times, and I am only running one program, chrome. I would also like to add that I am using UBUNTU LINUX 9.10