Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking using the AMD BE guide

Last response: in Overclocking
September 18, 2011 2:19:05 AM

I'm having trouble understanding this:

A Black Edition CPU is a CPU that has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can either raise or lower the multiplier, this guide is covering overclocking the CPU by raising the multiplier. The critical aspect of raising an AMD CPU multiplier is to keep everything else within specifications in the beginning of the overclocking process! Why? Because anything set outside specifications that is border lining on instability, increases its instability as the multiplier increases.

First, You need to manually set your memory speed, and CAS timings, and the required memory slot voltage, to your memory manufacturers exact requirements, and regarding the 1T, 2T, setting, for AMD in my experience the 2T setting is more stable, (I suggest 2T to attain your overclock then after you're sure its stable you can set it to 1T and see if your memory will stay stable at that setting).See Memory Note Below:

Even though your memory modules are factory rated and tested for certain speeds, they were never tested at some of the multiplier levels available with the black Edition CPUs by increasing the multiplier, you will be pushing them into an untested range that will require adjusting them to get the stability you need.

All your specification speeds in the beginning of the overclocking process like Hyper Transport, or North Bridge, etc. need to all be set to their default [If you know the default setting] or left on auto settings, all voltages on Auto except for the Memory which you've already manually set and your CPU's Vcore voltage, that you will be manipulating later.

I managed to set it to 2T but the rest is all Chinese to me.

More about : overclocking amd guide

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 4:19:07 AM

Easy.....The unlocked multi. allows for the CPU to be OCed without affecting any other parameter.....As far as command rate i.e. 1T, and 2T refers to access rate to the RAM 2T is slower than 1T, er go, taking an instability variable out of the equation during initial OCing.....The CPU multi. is not linked to memory, northbridge, or HT multipliers.....
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2011 5:00:08 AM

It's only "easy" if you understand the technical aspects of OC'ing and the inter-relationship of HT, the memory controller/frequency, etc. As he says otherwise it's just "Chinese" or "Greek" or something many people would not understand without technical training. ;) 
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
September 18, 2011 6:07:09 AM

Actually, in an AMD BE or Intel K chip, means that the internal multiplier is separate from all the "etc" lowjack mentioned. Unlike the Core2 chips, for instance, it makes overclocking much more simple.

But it is still not a cookbook process. You still need to do your homework and you still need a pretty good idea of what you are doing.
m
l
!