I need a Rock-Solid i7 Audio Workstation

ZildjianAVC

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I'll be ordering parts for my new Audio Workstation in a couple weeks. Click here for the current parts list.

Case & PSU: brand name is important here. Currently there are two cases in the list - I prefer the looks of the Thermaltake but I'm scared that it will perform poorly. Also in the list is a PSU that I'm unsure of because, all practicality aside, I'd like a black one.

GPU: I don't plan on getting a GPU until Starcraft 2 comes out (which may be awhile) unless it helps noticeably with my pro audio apps, which I doubt.

I have multiple monitors... but I guess I'm waiting until SC2 comes out to use more than one at a time.

RAM: I need at least 6GB RAM, but right now I have a 12GB pack because I hear there are disadvantages of getting a 6GB pack now and the same 6GB pack again later (once I upgrade from XP to 7) because they won't be "matched". Maybe you all can clear this up for me.

I have a personal vendetta against power outages, so the battery backup is important but I could be overdoing it with the wattage. Although for an extra $50 that's okay with me.

The ASRock mobo was a choice based on a sub-$200 i7 mobo shootout by Tom's Hardware.

I can't compromise on the HDD's because I need the storage (many audio-production apps are 20-40 GB+) and security.

I don't plan on OC'ing until I'm 100% confident I'm not going to mess up. But I've had non-OC'd computers randomly shutting down on me for awhile and I don't see myself OC'ing anything on this build.

Thanks in advance!!
Nathan

Okay i had a chance to look over your wishlist, you need some sort of GPU as the x58 does not have onboard, get a 4670 or something. Also get an EA430 instead of the basiq, the basiqs arent very good but the earthwatts series is. Oh and you have 2 cases currently listed.

ZildjianAVC

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Great, I switched out the Basiq for the earthwatts. I didn't realize that I'm missing an GPU, so I'll be doing some research on budget GPUs. Thanks for your input!

You should look for a GPU that is fanless and low-power. GPU fans are annoying when loud, which is obviously bad for your ears while trying to listen.

Get matched RAM! This is extraordinarily important in audio editing PCs. Matched RAM allows you to have lower timings which correlates to lower latencies - critical for recordings and editing.

Edit: And consider replacing the stock i7 cooler, if you haven't already. That thing can get loud, too.

Zombeezy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
tomshardware rocks - I check this site several times a day, and have been for years. I also love newegg and buy almost everything from them, but had to snag an I7 from microcenter @$199. They have been promoting that for some time now in-store.

If you are at microcenter, might as well pick up EVGA's 141-BL-E757-TR which is $209 after $20 MIR, both at Newegg and microcenter.

If you are going to get an Antec PS, you might consider one of their cases that have them built-in, such as the Antec NSK6580 for $99 w/ the 430 PS. May be able to knock another $10 off with promo code ANTECAUG, limited offer.

Personally, I am a big fan of the modular CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX when discounted to $99.99 as it is now 139.99 w/ $40 MIR at newegg or the perfectly fine CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX when discounted $89.99 as it is now 109.99 w/ $20 MIR at newegg. If you don't need modular, you can save even more on these with the CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX at $49.99 after $20 MIR or CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX at $79.99 after $20 MIR or the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W at 79.99 after $20 MIR. johnnyguru has continually raved about corsair PS' forever.

Case and PS prices remain pretty stable so when on sale, snag them. Make sure after buying motherboard that you can install and test everything within a windo of returning - every mfr will have units that are DOA.

I'm pretty pleased with the NZXT Beta case I just got from newegg $39 after $10 MIR. It got a very good review on http://www.pureoverclock.com. However, it is being replaced by a revision that will be even better, but it is hard to argue with $39. I'm also a fan of the antec P183 and the nine hundred cases but again - for $39, this will suit me fine for this box.