Can my computer "handle" GTX 260?

ryan54

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I am a little new to computers. I've never changed a graphics card before, and now I was thinking of replacing my Nvidia 9400 GT with a Nvidia GTX 260.
I'm still wondering if the graphics card can fit into my computer case. I've tried meassuring it, and my computer case is 40 cm wide, while the GTX260 is 27 cm, if I recall correctly. There isn't much cables or wires in the way, so I'm pretty sure it fits.

I'm still not quite sure as to how exactly to change a graphics card, as I've never done it before. I've read somewhere that all you have to do is pull it out, and put the new one in, but the GTX 260 has all these cables, and I'm not sure where to fit all of those in.

Im pretty sure my PSU is 500w . Is there anything else I should look for?

Specifications:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000
3.2 GB of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

If theres any more info you need, tell me

Thanks in advance!

erikjansson

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hello!, No your PC can DEFINATELY "handle the GTX 260, the only thing that might be of a problem might be the space between other hardwares. There should ALWAYS be at least 10cm of a distance between hardwares to evade overheating.
And another thing but I dont think its much of a problem, judging by your computers specifications, how much RAM do you have? If you have 1GB or more you are OK.

And congrats about the graphics card, wish I had that much money to buy one =D.

Hope this helped, Erik Jansson

A bit difficult on my SLi rig as PCI-e slots 1 & 3 (both in use) are only 7cm apart and there are two unused slots between them!

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
check the voltage on your 12v rails dude, voltages will be listed along side of the psu will be able to help more then

ryan54

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
12v rails? Whats that? Sorry I'm new to computers

And can anyone tell me where the cables that comes with the GTX 260 go into? I want to check to see if my computer have those slots.

Thanks in advance!

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Read the spec's on your power supply and you'll see the total amps on the 12v rail.
Even if your 500w psu will due, make sure it enough to power all your devices under load or you'll start to experience radom crashes & lockups.

My best advise is if you're not sure get a good quality psu. Make sure it's somewhere between 550 & 750 watts depending on how many devices you use. A little more is always better, just don't overkill

I use an Antec 750. Got it on sale for a good price.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If you're already planning to buy the GTX 260 from a local shop, why not bring in your case and you can install it there, fit it, connect the power cables, download the drivers, etc...
Plus you get the benefit of the salesperson who can advise you if your power supply can handle the requirements and also the PCI-E pin connectors or molex adapters you will need.

As you can see, some of the help here (not mentioning names like erc) can be somewhat questionable, to say the least.