Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Switching between overclock and standard BIOS settings

Last response: in Overclocking
September 18, 2011 7:36:06 AM

I am in the process of overclocking my Q9550 on my GA-EP45 mobo. I have the standard bios profile saved as well as my current stable overclock.

Is there any danger or am I shortening the life of the CPU when I switch back and forth between the standard and the overclock settings? Usually I only run the overclock for gaming and so forth.
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
September 18, 2011 7:54:07 AM

if the difference between standard and auto overclock is not too much for speed and voltage, it would be safe alone. but if too much of the stock then it could endanger the system and hardware. Just suggestion
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 18, 2011 8:03:41 AM

No. As long as you stay within Intel's max voltage (1.45 volts) and max temps (about 70 C), there's no danger.

But it is simpler to just run with SpeedStep enabled. For example, I have my Q9550 (EP-45-UD3P) running at 3.6 GHz (B3 stepping :( ). That's 425 MHz X 8.5. SpeedStep drops the speed back to 2.55 GHz whenever I am not gaming.

Same with my Q6600 system - 3.6 GHz down to 2.4 GHz.

I do not need to constantly go into the BIOS and change speeds.
Related resources
September 18, 2011 8:35:57 AM

Best answer selected by radioactvman.
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:41:59 AM

Yea I have no plans to to go over 1.45 volts and I don't let my CPU cores go above 65 C under load so I am heat limited for now on my clocks.

Thanks for the advice on SpeedStep. I do have it enabled and i kinda forgot about it.

I mainly ask this question because while I was overclocking and stress testing, my raid array got degraded and it kinda scared me so I went back to stock settings while the array rebuilt over night.
m
l
!