Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 worth it?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 18, 2011 12:44:33 PM

I'm looking at building a new system in the next few days, and I am absolutely stuck on the mobo. I will be using an i5 2500k with a Hyper 212+ (w/ 2 sickleflow fans). I do plan on going CF in the future, but right now I will be supporting only one 6950. And, naturally, I will be OC'ing.

What I am looking for is a quality motherboard that has the most bang for the buck. I would prefer to keep it under $200, but I am willing to spend that extra $34 if this board is truly worth it. I am not totally stuck on any brand, but when I've read recent reviews, this one keeps popping up.

Any suggestions?
September 19, 2011 2:14:23 PM

Of coarse it is some of these builders are putting the most expensive hardware on that exact board. Were talking about 10,000 dollers worth.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 4:05:13 PM

lukwen said:
Of coarse it is some of these builders are putting the most expensive hardware on that exact board. Were talking about 10,000 dollers worth.

It's impossible to put 10K worth of hardware on a motherboard, even if you bought a 5K graphics card.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 4:15:56 PM

first I'd make a list of what you need including possible future upgrades.
For example:
How many Sata II and SATA III ports will you need for example 1 or two DVD or Blu-ray recorders, Nr of HDDs and Nr of SSDs (Me 1 DVD recorder, 1 Blu-ray recorder (can get by with 1 blu-ray RW, 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs (Which means I have to use the UGH marvel controller).
Pci-e slots (for Xfire and SLI) the best your going to get is normally 2 @ x8 (only support one @ x16).
USB2 and USB 3 ports (Look at what 3rd party USB 3 controller is used, not yet supported by INTEL and some have problems with the USB controller on the ASrock line).
Internet 1 or two intrenal controllers.

Then go to new egg and do a compare and select the most cost effective that meets your needs: IE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

My preference in order: Gigabyte, and tie between ASRock (slight favor as lower $$$s less than Asus) and Asus. I have 4 Gigabyte MBs, No problems with any of them, and latest is the ASRock Extreme 4 (short on SATA ports for me) works fine. Any of these 3 at the mid price point ($160 -> $200) are fine for a OC upto 4.6, some may get you higher. BUT the diff between 4.6 and 5.0 is only 8.6% - NO BIGGY!
Look at reviews (& user reviews @ newegg) to insure your not getting a lemon - all brands seems to have them at one time or another.
September 22, 2011 5:21:00 AM

I'm talkin like revo drives and graphics cards things like that. That one big time builder on youtube that's his newer setup tuby,truby somethin like that.
m
l
October 5, 2011 1:56:41 AM

Best answer selected by Neuroblastoma.
m
l
!