Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Cooler Master
  • Video Editing
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2011 5:37:43 PM

Hello again techs! :D 

I finally have most of the parts for my first attempt at building my own desktop pc. yay!
All I need now is an Internal Hard Drive or two. The tower I have has room for around 11 slots, COOLER MASTER HAF 932.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be using this mostly for video editing and rendering, perhaps a little gaming on the side also. I've pretty much topped out my budget, I would love any suggestions you may have regarding choice of hard drive. Ideally I would like one that has at least 7200 RPM 32MB Cache, and a large storage capacity.

Q:
What's a good choice of hard drive for around or less than $100?

I would also like to know how to set up a multiple hard drive scenario.
EX: If I have two hard drives, one is 2T and the other only 500GB/1T.

Q:
Which drive do I put on the front end? Does it even matter?

Q:
Would it be better to get multiple drives at around 500GB or the larger 1T or 2T?

Thanks for the help everyone. :) 

More about : hard drive

a b G Storage
May 10, 2011 5:53:33 PM

Here is the secret to choosing a hard drive. The best brand is the brand of hard drive that hasn't failed on you unexpectedly.

After that has been met, warranty and reliability come in to play. For under a $100 you could get a 7200rpm Western Digital at New Egg.

For multiple hard drives, unless you are going with a RAID set up (all identical drives) then the hard drives are set up independently. In My Computer, you will see

C: 1000GB
D: 500GB
E: CD rom.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 10, 2011 8:00:52 PM

the highest recommended brand/models right now seem to be:

Western Digital Caviar Black, 5 year warranty!
Seagate Spinpoint f3/f4

though a word of caution. i've experienced higher than normal failure rates with the 1.5tb versions of the wdb. from customer reviews on the 1tb and below they seem to be fine. i know my old 60gb wd drive is over 7 years old and going strong.

as the mod explained, if you do not raid the drives together than you will see drives listed as individual items in my computer. when you go to install the os you will have to pick on to be your OS drive. typically i pick the smaller of the two and use the larger one for backup.

as far as raid, the most common ones would be raid 1 and raid 0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

for raid 1 all data is written to two disks meaning that if one fails your system will still boot up and act normally. once you replace the faulty disk the raid array will rebuild and you will be protected against single hard drive failure'

for raid 0 all data is written across two drives. this will combine the storage capacities of both drives into one. meaning that two 500gb drives will appear as one 1tb drive in windows. when there are multiple files being accessed at once raid 0 can offer a performance gain, but in general it may appear to be slightly slower than single drives due to the controller.

its up to you if you want multiple drives or not. its a good idea to store your data in multiple sources which is why raid 1 is always great. however, remember to also backup your data outside your pc in case of a surge or other catastrophe.

the fastest possible option right now are ssd drives. since ssd drives are rather expensive for the space you get a common scenario is to use the ssd as a boot drive and to use a normal hdd as your storage drive.

for example...

you could use an 80gb ocz vertex 2 ssd for a boot drive at around $135 and a western digital caviar black 1tb hdd for your storage at around $105.

system startup and overall performance will be snappy, and there is enough room to install programs, etc onto your os drive. however, the hdd drive should be used for all files, photos, music, etc. as 80gb doesn't take very long to fill up anymore.

----

i'm currently running two vertex2 80gb ssds in raid 1 as my OS drive and once my two wdb 1.5tb hdds come back from rma i'll be putting them in raid 1 as my storage drives. i originally had them in raid 1 as my OS drive and between the two the difference is noticeable. raid 1 isn't required by a long shot, but regular backups are highly suggested. the only reason why i will only use raid 1 is that when a drive dies, there is no headache involved. get a replacement drive, repair the raid array and you're on your merry way.
Related resources
May 18, 2011 6:33:24 AM

Best answer selected by Arc23.
m
l
May 18, 2011 6:35:07 AM

Thanks for the help with this guys, I really appreciate it. Based on the reviews, I believe I will be going with the WDB. It just seems like it's less hassle than the WDG.
I will let you know how it turns out. :) 
m
l
!