Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 for first time question!!!!

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2011 8:19:16 PM

Hi, i've just heared about Raid 0 and its advantages for video editing speed and Gaming, yet i'm aware of its disadvantages, anyway i got 2 questions to sure that i can set it up in my PC!
first: i have two Drives (1.5T, 500G) so can i set Raid 0 for this 2 drives
second: its not a new pc, and i have alot of data on my drives, so do i need new drives to setup Raid?!
Thank you!

More about : raid time question

a c 289 G Storage
May 10, 2011 8:32:43 PM

1) Yes, you need new drives to setup RAID, if you don't want to lose the data already on your drives.
2) You should have two drives of the same capacity and approximately the same speed.
3) What kind of motherboard do you have? Need to know how many drives it supports and what kind of RAID.
4) In all likelihood, setting up the RAID array will prevent your computer from booting, as you will have to change the controller modes and then the OS won't have the correct drivers. This can be fixed with a repair installation.
m
l
May 10, 2011 8:34:13 PM

You can raid 0 the 2 drives, however, you are limited to the lowest capacity of the drives, i.e., the lowest capacity drive is 500gb, so your total drive size would be 1TB total. 500G+500G= 1TB. You would be losing 1TB of capacity from your 1.5 TB drive. To maximize performance and capacity for a raid 0, you would need another 1.5 TB drive, and it should the same model. When it comes to setting up a raid 0, you would have to use the bios to setup the raid 0 and it would format both drives and you would lose your current data. If you decide to setup a raid 0, back up first!
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2011 10:45:38 PM

Ok Thanks guys, i dont think i'm gonna raid now :) 
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:39:07 AM

you can use the same drives but remember you back up your stuff since it will delete the Master Boot Record....
on my rig i have two hdds for backup and another external hdd....you never know when it will come in handy...btw raid 0 setups aren't as bad as people make it to be....i have had mine for over two years with no problems
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:45:08 AM

Seeing your questions and hardware configuration I would suggest you stay away from RAID0 for now.
m
l
May 11, 2011 8:54:24 AM

Well, actualy i'm thinkin to get another 500GB for Raid setup, that's ofcourse i'm sure its really worth it, and make the 1.5T for data storage...but anyway why do you suggest to stay away from raid..
PTW, my MB is ASUS m4a785td-v evo and i think it supports raid.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
May 11, 2011 1:44:50 PM

Aww, c'mon dargkuset. How is the OP going to learn without playing with it and getting burned a few times?
m
l
May 11, 2011 1:50:18 PM

Your motherboard supports raid 0, 1, and 10. Using a pair of 500gb drives for raid 0 and the 1.5tb drive as a data drive is ok. The biggest downfall to raid 0 is if on of the raid drives fails, all the data on the raid 0 is lost. Personally, I would put the money towards an SSD. A SSD will outperform a raid 0 in most areas. Depending on the OS you are running, a 80gb to 120 gb drive would make a good boot/app drive, and use the 1.5tb as your data drive.
m
l
May 11, 2011 3:10:52 PM

Ok...Thank you
m
l
May 13, 2011 1:54:56 AM

WyomingKnott said:
Aww, c'mon dargkuset. How is the OP going to learn without playing with it and getting burned a few times?

You are absolutely right my friend... I guess protecting them will not prepare them for the real world... lol
That is how we learned in the first place (or at least I did, lol)

Kaspro my friend, go ahead and try it. Don't be lazy though and read all you can about RAID before starting playing with your valuable data.... and as yman69 said, back up your data first!

I agree with nebun that it is not as bad as people make it to be. But that applies to people who make regular backups (and have actually tested them) and don't mind spending an hour or less in case something goes wrong to bring the system back to life.

My advise:
1) Read and learn
2) Use same brand hard drives and same revision (firmware)
3) Make backups
4) Test your back up recovery method (disconnect one of the drives and pretend it is dead... what do you do now?)
5) Start playing with RAID and different stripe sizes! This is where the fun begins! hehe

Good luck and enjoy!
m
l
!