New SSD awful performance...

Hello, I purchased a new SSD a few weeks ago, its an OCZ Vertex 2 80GB model. I downloaded CrystalDiskMark to test performance and the results were surprising to say the least.

http://imageshack.us/f/189/ssdkf.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/815/wdblack.png/

These are the results of the 2 drives I use
one is a WD Caviar Black 500GB
second one is OCZ Vertex 2 80GB

Looking at the vertex box, advertised specs are
Read: 285
Write: 275
My results are
Read: 147
Write: 42
and for WD 500GB my results are
Read: 212
Write: 88

Can anyone tell me what the is wrong with the SSD (or pc)

System Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Core i7 860 3.36Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600mhz
GTX 460 1GB
MSI p55 GD65
WD Caviar Black 500GB
OCZ Vertex 2 80GB
Corsair HX 650W
14 answers Last reply
More about awful performance
  1. Have you verified the SATA controller is set on AHCI and not IDE?
  2. I went into the BIOS to check, it was set to IDE, changed it to AHCI, when computer rebooted, windows started to download AHCI drivers automatically, than it asked to restart windows, I did, checked performance again, now its 177 read 42 write, a little better than before but still unacceptable since they advertise MUCH MUCH higher speeds, my write speeds are 6x slower than what they advertise.
  3. Question... How many benchmarks have you ran on this drive?? The Vertex 2 has issues when hammered (high level of writes in short period of time). It effects the performance of the drive. Here is a thread on the subject: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85029-Understanding-SF1200-drives-TRIM-OP-area-use-and-Life-write-throttle

What driver do you have it installed on? Intel RST or Marvell (as example).
  4. not sure if its intel or marvell , how can I check? as for the benchmarks, I ran crystaldisk mark 2 times, 50mb each time
  5. What is your motherboard??

Also, you can download and startup AS SSD Benchmark and it'll show what drive is installed.
  6. The motherboard I have is an MSI p55 GD65
  7. http://imageshack.us/f/829/asssdbenchoczvertex2ata.png/

just ran the benchmark you suggested, these are the results.
  8. I would install the Intel RST driver I linked to in my previous post... You are running on the default Microsoft drivers. Also, I won't do any more benchmarks for a week or two to let the GC/TRIM do it's job.
  9. Installed the drivers, ok I'll not bench it for a few weeks, hopefully by then the performance improves since 40mb writes are unacceptable.

Thank you for your help
  10. Also, hopefully our user groberts will review the thread and provide some feedback. He is a beta tester for OCZ and knows probably the most about the drivers (or well... at least what I've seen).
  11. Well for a WD HDD to get 212MB, thats pretty fast for a HDD.

But as for the SSD, did you optimize it according to many of the numerous guides? I would also check the OCZ forums and see if they have specific tweaks you can run in Windows to give the best performance or possibly a program like the Intel SSD Toolbox.
  12. couple of things here. first let's pounce on those WD tests. You are merely testing the cache with such a small test size as it would take a raided HDD set to achiever those read speeds. Those drives read at no where near 200MB/s and is misleading to say the least. Writes are about right and more realistic to what the reads would be if tested correctly.

next is the fact that you are using incompressible benchmarks to test a controller that supports compression. Of course when you eliminate one of the key features of this controllers main speed secret.. you will get worst case results.

The other thing is the Durawrite throttling that kicks in on these drives after all the nand has been hit at least once. With 50% of that drive used for static data(OS/apps and whatever else you have there) it doesn't take too much more to hit a throttled state and comes even quicker with the use of those particular benchmarks.

In fact if you keep pushing the drive even more once it initially throttles to a settled state, you can reach what's called a hammered state. Withn those numbers I'm guessing you are probably not quite hammered but are definately settled in at this point. The drive is designed to maintain that settled state unless you really push it hard and don't allow sufficient logged off idle time in which case it will throttle once more.

Fact is that the nand IC config of the 80GB modles is less than ideal and is one of the slowest models out there when used with incompressible data streams, short of the 40 gigger which is slightly slower.

If you want to see what the drive is capable of with more typical OS data(more easily compressed) the you would need to use the benchmark that it was rated with. ATTO.
  13. The advertised speeds don't match the actual performance of the Vertex 2 any longer because OCZ started using 64-bit NAND which requires half the chips and results in much lower performance.

As a result, OCZ offers an RMA for 64-bit NAND units, replacing them with 32-bit chips. OCZ should have renamed the Vertex 2 to Vertex 2LC or something, but chose to trick people. The only reason they're offering the RMA, probably, is because Anand made a fuss about it.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Performance Western Digital Vertex Storage