Gigabyte ex58 udr3a mother board storage question

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I gave up looking for a similar question after 4 pages as I'm tired so if this question has already been asked and answered would someone kindly point me the way to IT Nirvana :bounce:

I have a quick question....

I have the poor man's sata III. It's as good a platter drive as you can get for under a hundred bucks i think but it's still a platter drive. I have a WD Caviar 800 gb 64mb cache 7200 rpm hd sata III.

I have two slow wd green 360 8 mb cache 7200 rp sata II's

I can't get anywhere with Gigabyte or find someone that can read english well enough to understand my question :fou:

Does anyone know the newer Gigabyte boards well enough to know if you can run raid 0 or 1 on the sata ii's while running single drive in sata III like I already am. I'm thinking of adding the two sata II's for backup purposes and turning this box into a server 2008 r2 box.

Any ideas on if you can do so or not? I haven't seen anything that says you can run sata ii and iii at the same time but I haven't seen anything saying you can't on these boards either.
Course I have a newborn baby at home and I'm 51 and not getting much sleep so i could be full of it as well. :cry:

Solution
OK. That motherboard has:

Storage Interface
South Bridge:
6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

iTE IT8720 chip:
1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

All the SATA ports are SATA 2 (3 GB/s). The good news is that you can connect an SATA 2 port to an SATA 3 drive, or an SATA 3 port to an SATA 2 drive. You just get the lower SATA 2 speed...
OK. That motherboard has:

Storage Interface
South Bridge:
6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

iTE IT8720 chip:
1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

All the SATA ports are SATA 2 (3 GB/s). The good news is that you can connect an SATA 2 port to an SATA 3 drive, or an SATA 3 port to an SATA 2 drive. You just get the lower SATA 2 speed. They are 101% compatible.

You can run RAID 0 or 1 on your Green drives as long as they are on the same controller. You can run another drive on the same mobo by the simple expedient of not adding it to the RAID set. In fact, in addition to your RAID you could run six more SATA drives and two IDE drives (if you collect antiques, that is).

Solution

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
if you collect antiques... I'm an IT guy of course I've got an IDE hard drive or two sitting around out in the garage. You never know when you might need one right? :sol:

What I'm really suprised by is the fact that I have never seen on of the hoarder shows that has an IT guy??? :D Our stuff is neatly packed in electrostatic proof bubble wrap and neatly stacked on shelves but we're hoarders-by-proxy none the less. :bounce: