Can't get native resolution on Samsung 23" 2343BWX

monitortroubles

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I've been working on this for the past couple of hours and gotten nowhere.
I just got this monitor and plugged it in but for some reason the maximum resolution that I can get it to show is 1920x1080, while the native resolution is 2048x1156. The nvidia driver reports 1920x1080 as the native resolution even though this is incorrect.
I've updated my video card (XFX 8800GT) drivers and installed the monitor drivers to no avail. I've tried in ubuntu and windows and have the same problem in both cases. I don't have another computer to test it on right now but I'll try that when I can.
Other possibly relevant information:
I'm connecting it with a dual-link DVI-D cable and I'm also using another monitor (NEC 223WXM) as a secondary monitor that runs fine at its native resolution of 1680x1050. The problem happens even without this one plugged in though.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kevin

monitortroubles

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have, it tries to switch and then tells me "Test Failed. Custom resolution 2048 x 1156 at 60Hz (32-bit) is not supported by your display."

Just what i was thinking

Mactronix

Do you two live under rocks or something?, Hi-res small form factor monitors have been around for a while now.

monitortroubles

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Yep. I've tried both the driver on the CD and one from the internet. No luck.
One strange thing I noticed while I was doing this though is that when I uninstall the monitor driver and let Windows detect it, it sees it as a Samsung 2243swx, which does have a native resolution of 1920x1080. I wonder if the monitor itself is reporting the wrong thing somehow...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Ah i see, the standard version of the 23'' monitor like mine support 1920x1080 and most software is customized by that. However the high resolution of the 23'' supports exactly what you said monitortroubles 2048x1156. Since your version of monitor is more rare it will give troubles like these sometimes. I know you said you got the latest driver but just to be sure, here is a link to your video cards latest nvidia certified official driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_190.62_whql.html

-Make absolutely sure you have that driver, its 190.62
-If still no luck, download the nvidia Performance group software, its a very complex and complete version of the other simpler control panel nvidia gives, explore it and it should let you get much more control of the situation.
-If still nothing, we will keep troubleshooting :)

monitortroubles

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Yeah, I definitely have the 190.62 drivers. I'm running vista by the way, not xp. I poked around in the performance group software but I didn't find anything useful about the monitor. It just shows the list of resolutions with 1920x1080 shown as the native resolution.
Just tried it on my roommate's macbook pro and it had the same issue, 1920x1080 was shown as the max resolution. I'm thinking this is probably a hardware problem with the monitor.

monitortroubles

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
In case anyone was wondering about this, it turns out it was a problem with the monitor itself (I don't know exactly what, I guess it was reporting incorrect information somehow). Anyway, I sent it back and got a new one and the new one works great without any trouble. Didn't even need to install monitor drivers. Thank you all for the help, though.

robopony

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I've got the exact same problem, bought a new nVidia card thinking that would fix it, but it still shows 1920x1080 as the native resolution, and fails when I try to set a custom resolution.

Who did you contact to get it replaced? Samsung themselves, or the store you bought it from? I've heard lots of horror stories about getting monitors replaced by Samsung, but if I RMA it through Newegg I'll have to pay $20 to ship it back...

Thanks!

teremoto

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

hopefully its not too late to ask but was the monitor actually displaying a 2048x1152 resolution and saying it was 1920x1080? or was it only displaying a maximum resolution of 1920x1080?

just purchased the same monitor on newegg and its my maximum resolution is showing up as 1920x1080... debating whether or not its worth it to return it to newegg and go through that whole process...

please advise