ignitorr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I am buying a new PC for home use and need help deciding between an Intel processor or an AMD processor. The PC will be used primarily for browsing the internet and viewing/storing videos and pictures. No need for gaming. I have been looking at Best Buy.com and would greatly appreciate it if a couple of folks could chime in on which computer would be the best fit for me. Thanks!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Why not build your own instead.You will get a better PC if you build it yourself.
You get to choose the parts that go in it.
Most OEM name brand PC's use low end components (especially motherboards and power supplies) to maximize their profits.If they didn't make a profit they wouldn't be selling PC's.
But basically Intel wins on the high end,upper mid range CPU's and AMD wins on the lower mid range and budget CPU's.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Get an Athlon X2 250 or Phenom X2 550 its a great CPU for light tasks while still being very low consuming when idling. A cheap AMD micro-ATX board with AMD 785G chipset and you don't need a separate add-on videocard; saves you alot of money.

Invest the money in a good monitor, sound and keyboard/mouse which will be of most use to you! Don't spend more than 300 euro on the PC itself.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Here's my advice. Got to the dell outlet and subscribe to their emails. They send out special codes every couple of months or so for 15% off. You can frequently get a core i7 920 system with 6GB of RAM for around $600. It will probably be refurbished, but when you get it, you won't be able to tell.

It's way better than the gateway you're thinking of getting.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If it's not for gaming, then just buy one from Best Buy.
The one you want from Best Buy comes with a 5400 RPM hard drive.
That is slow, if you care about speed. Once you fill that thing up with
videos, music, and pictures, it will be even slower.

But if you do want to build your own, go AMD for your needs. You can probably
get a decent AMD build for about $400.

ignitorr

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I would prefer to buy a pre-built one. Any reccomendations based on Best Buy's current offerings?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I wouldn't support best buy. :) Go for a popular online vendor. Maybe a newegg pre-built system or cyberpower or something. Best Buy makes a living trying to trick people into buying stupid things and overpaying.

Take HDMI cables for example. They show you the monster cable and the other named brand expensive cable.
$100+

What they don't show you is that you can get a generic HDMI cable that has THE SAME VIDEO QUALITY. But would only last you say... 5 years instead of... 20?
$6+

Don't get me started on Geek Squad. :)

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

the 775 are a dead socket, I saw amd based systems (which you build) that costed the same, perform better and are future proof

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Do I ever agree with you on this. Best Buy salespeople are either idiots or scum, and I wouldn't let the Geek Squad program my abacus, lol.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

Geek Squad sucks. I applied there for a seasonal job like 3 years ago. Got hired on the spot, but they only pay $10/hr.
70% Sales (tricking people into buying their crap), 20% customer support, and 10% actually doing anything related to computers. They said they stopped their
commission program, but I suspected it was still going on, just that you weren't paid in commission anymore, you'd get
fired if you didn't meet your quota, maybe not right away, but it all leads up to it.

If you have a Microcenter or CompUSA near you, I'd go there. Their sales people seem to know more than the Geek Squad.