Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Lanboy Air Watercooling...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 19, 2011 3:09:02 AM

Hey everyone,

I currently have the Antec Lanboy Air case, with an i7 950 on the Rampage III Extreme Mobo. The temps with the stock cooler are acceptable, but due to overclocking, I am going to upgrade to watercooling.

Basically I have $200 to spend on watercooling parts, not including tax/shipping. I can go a little higher if it makes the difference between decent and good.

I was looking at the XSPC RS240/360 kits, both of which are reasonably priced.

My first main question is: If I were to get the RS360 kit, can I mount it on the top, with the last 120mm part of the rad, hanging off the back? I was thinking that I'd set it up like this:

[ fan ]
[360mm radiator]
[ fan ][ fan ]

2nd question: The barbs that come with the kit, 1/2" barbs. Can I use 5/8" ID tubing with it?
September 19, 2011 3:18:08 AM

ComputANI said:
Hey everyone,

I currently have the Antec Lanboy Air case, with an i7 950 on the Rampage III Extreme Mobo. The temps with the stock cooler are acceptable, but due to overclocking, I am going to upgrade to watercooling.

Basically I have $200 to spend on watercooling parts, not including tax/shipping. I can go a little higher if it makes the difference between decent and good.

I was looking at the XSPC RS240/360 kits, both of which are reasonably priced.

My first main question is: If I were to get the RS360 kit, can I mount it on the top, with the last 120mm part of the rad, hanging off the back? I was thinking that I'd set it up like this:

[ fan ]
[360mm radiator]
[ fan ][ fan ]

2nd question: The barbs that come with the kit, 1/2" barbs. Can I use 5/8" ID tubing with it?


If it will actually fit, you can really mount the rad however you wish...I'm not familiar with the case to determine if it would fit like that though.

As far as your tubing goes, I wouldn't chance it. You want the ID of your tubing to be the same size or smaller than the barb you're using. Tubing is pretty cheap though and those kits usually come with tubing.
m
0
l
September 19, 2011 5:03:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. The main reason about the tubing was that I couldnt find any UV/reg orange tubing for that size...

m
0
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 5:13:04 AM

Are you sure it wasn't 7/16 ID and 5/8 OD? if so that will work fine if you dip the ends in hot water to fit them over the barbs. I've never seen 5/8 ID tubing specifically for water cooling.
m
0
l
September 19, 2011 5:32:46 AM

Genny said:
Are you sure it wasn't 7/16 ID and 5/8 OD? if so that will work fine if you dip the ends in hot water to fit them over the barbs. I've never seen 5/8 ID tubing specifically for water cooling.


Shoot I have seen 1inch id tubing that looks the coolest on a rig its the wave of the futurem, it also holds more water like a res in of itself.
m
0
l
September 19, 2011 2:08:07 PM

Oh shoot, my bad, it was 7/16" ID 5/8" OD.. My bad.
The barbs used in the kit, and I quote, "G1/4" to 1/2" barbs x6"

What tubing can I use with that?
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 2:09:39 PM

You can use 7/16" ID or 1/2" ID...7/16"ID will be much tighter and a little trickier to get on...you can use silicone spray or like others mentioned...heat the tubing in hot water to slide over.
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 1:24:03 AM

Thannks rubix, however, I cannot seem to find any orange UV/reg tubing at FrozenCpu, could you reccomend me some reputable online stores in the same caliber of frozen cpu that may have Orange tubing in 1/2" ID size?
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 2:42:01 PM
September 25, 2011 4:24:40 AM

Can you recommend any tubing from FrozenCpu.com that's 1/2"ID and if red-Slightly orange in color or if blue-just a solid nice tone blue
m
0
l
September 29, 2011 4:22:05 AM

Just ordered my parts, this will definitely be a great experience for me. I went with the XSPC RS360 Rasa kit, with a few extra yate loon fans to go with it. I haven't seen many watercooled Lanboy Airs so this is going to be special :) . Will post some pictures once it all arrives...
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 29, 2011 2:36:29 PM

Yeah, definitely post updates and images if you can.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 10:47:45 PM

So, I just recieved my shipment from FrozenCpu.com, bout to open it..

Rubix, what methods can I use to clean off the old thermal paste from the stock cooler off the CPU?
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 1:29:19 AM

ComputANI said:
So, I just recieved my shipment from FrozenCpu.com, bout to open it..

Rubix, what methods can I use to clean off the old thermal paste from the stock cooler off the CPU?


Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 1:53:00 AM

Alright, got all the parts mounted. Now I'm working on the tubing..

Any suggestions to how I should cut the tubing? I dont have any tube cutters, but I have other hardcore tools such as, saws,scissors, knifes, etc...
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 1:56:01 AM

ComputANI said:
Alright, got all the parts mounted. Now I'm working on the tubing..

Any suggestions to how I should cut the tubing? I dont have any tube cutters, but I have other hardcore tools such as, saws,scissors, knifes, etc...


Scissors work fine...you just won't get the nice clean cuts you will with tube cutters. It's virtually impossible to get a perfect cut with scissors, but they are perfectly functional.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 5, 2011 2:01:22 AM

I just use a razor blade knife...always works for me.
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 4:11:22 AM

Yep, used a razor blade, then I went to a small saw, worked like a charm.. I have everything all set up. Now I just need to add the distilled water.. getting late here and I have school tomorrow so I'll just do it tomorrow.. Will post pics soon
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 5:49:35 PM

lint free cloth like cheese cloth or tac cloth used in staining and varnishing furniture. And as far as cutting you can also use tin snips. But all around Genny is right!
m
0
l
October 13, 2011 1:39:07 AM

Build is finished, just working on some cable management. 99% of the water cooling parts were great, just a little dissapointed with the XSPC Dual bay res/pump.

1) The molex connector it comes with it is REALLY Cheap, and by that I mean, the first time I removed the molex, it completely broke off. Now I'm just basically sticking the wires in the PSU Molex power =/..

2) Maybe it is just me, but when I mount it in my 5.25 bays in the lanboy air, it is abnormally sized. It fits in the bays but it takes up more space on the top and less on the bottom, making me loose basically a bay...

I'll post pics soon..
m
0
l
!