Overclocking a Pentium D 805 past 3.2Ghz

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi,

By the title you can see where I'm at right now. I can't go past 3.2Ghz. Whenever I try to set the clock any higher the pc will reebot and set it back to stock. Not only that but also the settings in the BIOS remain the same(overclocked) so I have to take out the battery for 10 minutes and then put it back in and overclock it again to 3.2Ghz using the following settings.

I've upped my Vcore in the BIOS to 1.33125V and set all of the M.I.T. (Overclocking features in the BIOS) settings to maximal (video and performance). I also set the memory multiplier to 4.00 (the only alternative to 'auto'). These are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
Intel 805 D 2.66Ghz@3.2Ghz
DDR2 4Gb

The temperatures are Ok, it's averaging 45ºC with peaks of 58ºC.

Is there a way of going past 3.2Ghz since it's stable now and the temperatures are normal?

Thx in advance!

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

With my current overclocking? And what for? I leave my PC on 24/7 already. Nothing wrong has happened since I've overclocked it and it's been a week now.

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Ok, updating my BIOS seems to have solved the problem. I have just overclocked my cpu up to 3.4Ghz and the systems is stable so far. I'll run a few tests and go through the 'time test'.

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Alright, not ok! :-( I've downloaded AIDA64 and it seems that the max multiplier I can use is 20(x160). So I guess there's no point trying to go over it, or is there?

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Ok, my mistake, the 20x multiplier is the cpu's. It's fixed, but I can multiply it by up to...I don't know haven't gone past 170 cuz that's 3,4Ghz and my system won't allow it. So far I've managed to go up to 3,3Ghz stable.

As far as I know Gigabyte motherboards have a fail-safe where if the settings you entered are impossible or damaging, the board will refuse to boot and reset all parameters in M.I.T. to stock. I tried to get my E7200 to 4.0GHz and voila, the motherboard reset all my work back to 2.53GHz.

So, if you're bent on trying >3.2GHz then try raising voltage all around. Otherwise, that's the max for you.

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Ok, I'm at 3.4Ghz right now and stable. I haven't had the patience yet to run Prime95 or AIDA or something for hours on end but I always use Mafia II as a benchmark and test stability. And on this test my new overclocked pc has passed.

Basically what I've done was turn the vcore down to a level where the temperature was low enough for me to be able to run my heaviest programs and games without the Blue Screen Of Death. It seems that a voltage of 1.31875v did the trick (so far). The temperature in idling mode is 42ºC and at full load about 58ºC. That seems to be the best I can achieve with this Intel stock cooling system (and the case open now).

I'll stay at this for the moment and observe my pc for one more day before trying to up my clock again.

Thanx for all those who have helped me.

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Right, new info for those in need: I've just lowered my Vcore to 1.3000v and so far it's not only stable but also the temperature in idle dropped 2ºC down to 40ºC. The full load temp now is about 57ºC and the computer is as fast as never before. I've left the clock at 3.4Ghz for now as I've been trying unsuccessfully up it to 3.5Ghz.
With this new info on the Vcore I'll give it one more try and keep you posted.

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

It seems though that a much lower Vcore such as 1.31250V (which I'm using now) is a lot better than higher Vcores. The computer is a lot faster and idles and goes full load at much lower temperatures, it's amazing!
By the way I've had to settle for 3.3Ghz at the afore mentioned Vcore and as usual maximal settings at 'Performance' and 'Video' in the M.I.T. settings, oh, and 'SPD'=4.00. This morning (23ºC outside) the computer is idling at 39ºC!! I've never gone that low with this computer, not in Windows anyway.