Determining cd/dvd drive size

ranger_23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello All,
Just wondering how you determine size of internal dvd drive for laptop short of
taking it out and measuring it. Do all laptops have the same size drive, or form factor?
My laptop is an hp pavilion dv6 and the optical drive is TS-L633m. The closest thing to
size that I found on the web was 'slim' regarding some dvd drives. Slim as opposed to
whatever else is out there. Any way of determining size other than bringing parts with
you to the local computer store? Thanks.

Solution
The models are specific to the brand and model of laptop. You will (almost certainly) have to get one from HP or one that is compatible with that particular model.

Desktop parts are standardized and interchangeable. Laptop parts, for the most part, are not.
The models are specific to the brand and model of laptop. You will (almost certainly) have to get one from HP or one that is compatible with that particular model.

Desktop parts are standardized and interchangeable. Laptop parts, for the most part, are not.

Solution

ranger_23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Maby I'll just pickup an external dvd drive since the original internal busted
in a fall and popped right out. Though an internal is more preferable a new one might not even
work if the bay itself got damaged as well. But regarding an external dvd drive, I don't believe there are any compatibility issues to consider. Though I'm only 99% sure,ha,ha. Thanks again.