scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I m pretty new to overclocking CPUs . So , here s my question . How do i overclock my Quad ? Im expecting OCing not to some crazy values like 3Ghz rather some decent clock speeds like 2.6-2.7 GHz . BTW, today i bought an ASUS GTX460 TOP videocard to replace my HD4350 and hence the interest in OCing my CPU . My monitor s native resolution is kinda pretty low (@ 1360*768 ) and been hearing at such lower resolutions games are more CPU dependent . Wanna make sure that ma CPU doesnt bottleneck my videocard .

My PC specs :

Core2Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
Intel DG35EC
4GB DDR2
ASUS ENGTX460 TOP
160GB Seagate HDD
Samsung Syncmaster 933SN

**CPU uses stock coolers
Thanks in advance :)

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
You will have to overclock VIA the FSB(Front Side Bus). For a lowish or moderate overclock like your talking about, you can most likely leave most things on auto. You should read some guides on how to overclock core2 quads however. It will help us help you and then you'll understand the basic lingo and general how to.

Ram frequency and voltage should be set manually to manufacturers specs. Also set pci-e to 100, you'll never want or need to go higher than 100 on pci-e bus. There are guides here as well as a gazillion online. Feel free to ask questions after you've had a read, GL.