Sign in with
Your question

P5Q-E MoBo Memory

Last response: in Memory
January 26, 2010 8:46:18 PM

I've been using Gskill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ, DDR2 800 ram in my Asus P5Q-E for several months till one of my sticks went bad and I was unable to boot my computer till I removed the bad stick. The standard for the P5Q-E is DDR2 1200 ram but it's my understanding that the P5Q-E can still use DDR2 800.

The problem is that I was able to replace the bad stick of ram and it worked again for a while. But now when I shut my computer down I am now no longer able to boot it back up. Removing two sticks of ram is not longer enabling me to boot my computer back up. Is this a Ram issue still?

I found this QVC table for my MoBo and it does not have the F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ listed. BUT the F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR is listed. The "HZ" is the only naming difference bewteen these two sticks of ram. I just don't understand why that would cause my computer not to boot up.
http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/2267/2267_10....

Any ideas, Should I just try buying some DDR 1200?

More about : p5q mobo memory

January 26, 2010 8:48:28 PM

I would also get the occasional blue-screen of death so I'm thinking that the ram might have something to do with that. Checking the memory for errors using the ASUS utility didn't tell me anything bad.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 27, 2010 1:03:03 AM

How many sticks of RAM do you have installed?
Download memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/
Burn it to a CD and restart your PC, booting into the CD. Let it run overnight and it will tell you if there is something wrong with your RAM. Run it on each stick individually, and if each stick passes, run it on all sticks together.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 1:58:10 PM

I have 4 sticks of 1GB ram but the problem is that I can't get into the bios to test anyway and my comp can't find my windows dvd in the drive either. No beep on startup tells me there is something really wrong here. I took my video card and ram sticks and put them back in but that didn't help.

The most puzzling thing is that when the computer was up and running everything was working perfectly till I shut down the computer, then no startup. I'm starting to think there is a malfunction in the motherboard. I did a ram test earlier when I got my ram stick replaced and no errors were reported. It's not possible to test anything right now.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 27, 2010 4:23:25 PM

Have you tried using just 1 stick of RAM?
m
l
January 27, 2010 4:44:59 PM

Yep, tried it with 1,2,3 and 4 sticks. I even rearranged them. :) 
m
l
!