240GB Vertex 2 vs 256GB SSDNow V100

Lapton

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I am probably going to be buying an SSD within the next few days, and have narrowed down my choices to either the 256GB Kingston SSDNow V100, or the 240GB OCZ Vertex 2. I would get a SATA III or PCI-E drive, but I don't have SATA III, extra PCI-E slots, or extra money :). The V100 is currently selling on Newegg for $399.99 after MIR, and the Vertex 2 is selling for $379.99 after MIR. I was going to buy the V100, but then I read that the JMicron controller it uses has had a major problem with data loss. However, Kingston has issued a new firmware for it that's supposed to fix the problem. So, do you think that the V100's JMicron controller is reliable (or fast) enough? I'm a PC gamer, and will be using the drive I get for the most demanding games I have. Also, are there any other SSDs that you would recommend instead of these?

tecmo34

Administrator
I running the OCZ Vertex 2 240GB drive and couldn't be happier. The only other drive for SATA II I would recommend is the Intel 320. It is a slight upgrade to their Intel X25-M G2 models.

Even though it is SATA III, the Crucial C300 is a great drive and performance good on SATA II ports.