Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Full water cooling system, need help.

Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2011 11:21:34 PM

Hello, I'm planing on getting me a water cooling for all my system... It will have the CPU, 2x Video cards, RAMS and the chipsets both north bridge and that other one, maybe the HDD's aswell if it wont bother the other parts.

Now what would be the best loop/s configuration for this setup... I did a lot of research and googling and only learned so little... all what I have learned that the motherboard block might delay the water flow in a loop or something like that.

Basically a detailed loop/loops/hybrid-loops would be very appreciated.

I didn't buy a case yet.. so I could use an advice about that (I don't care about the look) so an ugly one is no problem with me. :D 

The budget is pretty flexible for a performance/price ratio.

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 11:26:02 PM

You don't need waterblocks on the following:

RAM
Southbridge (Norhtbridge is debatable depending on your plan to overclock or not)
Hard drives
MOSFETs

You really only need 1 loop with a good pump and actually would benefit from a single loop with multiple radiators.

Have you read through the WC sticky yet? I have it linked below...should help provide some info to get started.

What is your budget?
September 19, 2011 11:29:21 PM

I just edited for the budget while you were replying. :) 
and ya i have read the sticky.
Related resources
September 19, 2011 11:33:11 PM

Are 2x triple 120mm Radiators good enough ? even if I'm going to include the Northbridge ?
And yes I'm planing to OC.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 11:37:45 PM

What CPU/GPUs and what OC do you plan on running?

I'd say dual 3x120 rads are the minimum I'd say you should run, especially if you plan to overclock...but also depends on which radiators you are going to choose.
September 19, 2011 11:46:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
What CPU/GPUs and what OC do you plan on running?

I'd say dual 3x120 rads are the minimum I'd say you should run, especially if you plan to overclock...but also depends on which radiators you are going to choose.

The CPU is i7-2600K
2x GTX580 for SLI

I've never OC'd before... but I have been looking into it since 2003... never done it though but I'm planing to OC everything that I could.

Also I've never used a water cool.
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 11:49:40 PM

580's are awfully hot (btw nice system)... If you want good performance and overclocking as well... i would go with something like this...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11760/ex-rad-123/Phob...

^great price for lots of rad-space and performance.^

You could mount it on the side of your case with some spacers, or use these...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13157/ex-rad-250/Phob...

You could run just push or just pull but push/pull would give you maximum performance out of the radiator.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 19, 2011 11:53:38 PM

You just pulled out the NOVA, didn't you... :)  That definitely would do the job...

Next up, world hunger.
September 20, 2011 12:03:47 AM

orangejuice789 said:
580's are awfully hot (btw nice system)... If you want good performance and overclocking as well... i would go with something like this...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11760/ex-rad-123/Phob...

^great price for lots of rad-space and performance.^

You could mount it on the side of your case with some spacers, or use these...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13157/ex-rad-250/Phob...

You could run just push or just pull but push/pull would give you maximum performance out of the radiator.

but 9x120mm fans :o  isn't this a little overkill ? and is there a case to fit this in ? ^^

It would be great if you know a case that can hold it... thats all what i want in the case.. enough space for this radiator i dont care at all about the looks, front panel ports or w/e else there is to it ^^... just the cheapest case you know that it can hold this beast radiator inside of it :D 
September 20, 2011 12:05:32 AM

rubix_1011 said:
You just pulled out the NOVA, didn't you... :)  That definitely would do the job...

Next up, world hunger.

Wish that world hunger can be solved with radiator :p 
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 12:08:16 AM

You aren't going to find many cases that will hold enough radiators for your loop unless you go with a MountainMods case
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 12:42:16 AM

Rubix- Haha, I've been trying to convince people to get it for so long!

Pull... Make me happy, get the 1080 and the feet. (and take pictures)

Your build is overkill... why not your cooling solution!

Plus you will likely save money if you go with the 1080 Nova... 3 individual 360mm rads are not cheap and thats what you would really want for serious cooling for OC'ed 580's, NB, and CPU.
September 20, 2011 12:54:34 AM

orangejuice789 said:

Pull... Make me happy, get the 1080 and the feet. (and take pictures)

Your build is overkill... why not your cooling solution!

Plus you will likely save money if you go with the 1080 Nova... 3 individual 360mm rads are not cheap and thats what you would really want for serious cooling for OC'ed 580's, NB, and CPU.

The price is really tempting... it is good value that's for sure but.... where the hell I'm gona mount this ?! :??: 

If you could find me a case that can hold this... I will order it with the nova TONIGHT! :D 

the MountainMods case are really pricey and not tempting at all... as you have to build it from scratch(literally).

If you know any case that can handle this please let me know.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 1:50:02 AM

Quote:

I've seriously considered getting it, myself. Considering I already have my two MCR320's on the side...why not a little more rad to go along with them?

Side-mount the Nova...not sure if that XClio is going to have enough internal space for what you want...rads+fans get pretty thick.

September 20, 2011 2:20:29 AM

So all I need to do is get a case with mesh side door and install the nova on it from the outside ?

and about the pumps... do I attach them to each other... or install one pump before the radiator and the other pump after the radiator ?

thanks man :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 2:48:17 AM

I'd say if you were going to get one, mount it on the back side of your case...not the side with the access panel...the other one.

You should only need 1 pump, unless you want to run 2 for redundancy. As for loop components...it doesn't matter where you place them in order...temp-wise, you can rearrange them and still get the same temps. Usually pump comes after reservoir simply because it's easier to fill/prime the loop this way to prevent air from getting sucked into the pump.
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 3:20:38 PM

You do not need a mesh side door, and as Rubix said... mounting on the access panel is not the best of ideas, because once you get it mounted, it will be a hassle to take the panel on and off... You could get some koolance quick-disconnects and make it a little easier to deal with, but I have never used them so i am not sure of the best way to utilize them, and even then i would still recommend mounting on the back side...

You could also just use those Nova 1080 feet and not mount it to your case at all, just drill it into your desk, or somewhere close to your case to keep your tubing route clean.

If you do want to do the back panel mount you will need some spacers in between the case and the radiator to allow decent airflow through the radiator.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 3:25:47 PM

...Not trying to push you into the Nova 1080, but just a consideration considering the amount of heat watts you'll be needing to dissipate, it's definitely an option.
September 20, 2011 6:14:03 PM

Sorry for taking too long to get back to you guys, I had to study a little bit for the coming exams... It will be a hassle for me to have the radiator installed separately as I will be moving around for a while... but in worst case scenario and if I were to look for another solution, would a 360 and a 240 be enough to cool the CPU and the 2x video cards? or even a 480 instead of the 360, or just any combination close to that.... because I have found some decent reliable and cheap cases that can hold that from the inside.

I know I keep coming with questions every time you guys answer me... please forgive me for being annoying :p 
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 6:18:41 PM

I'd say you shouldn't go with anything less than two, 3x120 rads, especially if you are wanting to overclock. If you went with thicker rads like TC PA's or XSPC RX's, you could do a 360 and a 240 with good fans...
September 20, 2011 9:46:04 PM

And use the 240 for the CPU and 360 for the SLI ?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 10:28:25 PM

You only need 1 loop...so the rads are cooling all components.
September 21, 2011 8:04:33 PM

I see... thanks for your helpful answers kind Sir! :D 
September 21, 2011 8:04:46 PM

Best answer selected by pull.
a b U Graphics card
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 21, 2011 8:17:40 PM

Not a problem...if you have any questions, let us know. But sounds like you have some solid ideas to work with...good luck.
September 22, 2011 1:29:56 AM

If a case already hasnt been suggested. According to your budget. Give the Silverstone TJ11 a glance. Great watercooling potential. Only con is the price >,<.Let's all petition to silverstone to lower the price..
September 23, 2011 1:32:20 AM

ComputANI said:
If a case already hasnt been suggested. According to your budget. Give the Silverstone TJ11 a glance. Great watercooling potential. Only con is the price >,<.Let's all petition to silverstone to lower the price..

lol its for $659.99.... I would rather to buy another VGA and install my rig on a piece of wood than buying this case :p 
!