Sign in with
Your question

Low Buget Computer! Advice Needed!

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2009 7:58:04 PM

Alright, so my brothers computers is about to crap out completely, so he's trying to build a extremely low budget computer. Around $500 - $600 if possible. Here's what what we have so far, need a some advice!

Motherboard: ?

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz (Good choice?) $65.99

Video Card: PNY 8800GTS (Already own, but looking to upgrade in the near future!)

RAM: 4GB OCZ $51.99

PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling Silencer $109.99

Hard Drive: 320GB Western Digital Hard Drive $49.99

Case: Antec 900 $77

August 3, 2009 8:22:05 PM

Ok...quick question - why do you need a 750w PSU? You'd be fine with much less, especially is you only use the one GPU. That's a nice PSU, but you wouldn't be using a good portion of it with that setup.

Also, I didn't see a motherboard on that list. If you plan on SLI, you'll have to go 750i or 780i (or 790i).

Another small change for me would be to get a 640GB HDD - 2 platters - excellent price and performance for just a bit more.

For $500-600, especially with the GPU already paid for, you ought to be able to do pretty well. I build my server for less than $400 with a quad, 8GB RAM (it's a server for VMs) and an Antec 300, so you ought to be able to do just fine with $500-$600.
Related resources
August 3, 2009 8:40:52 PM

So other than GPU what else u have to reuse i.e LCD/OS, etc?
August 3, 2009 11:10:55 PM

hunter315 - Nice link, ill check that out and post my thoughts later on

huron - Yes, i realize a 750w PSU is way, way over kill for this setup, but the main point is for it to be upgradable in the near future. That PSU is the exact one that i am currently using in my computer, which was built on a higher budget, but that's pretty good for $100. That also gives more than enough room to upgrade to a much better video card or sli later on.. but ill look into it

batuchka - He'll be using his old 19" Dell Monitor, along with the keyboard and mouse he already has, we haven't really decided on the OS yet, planned on getting all the parts picked out first, and then worrying about the OS afterwards..

Oh and another note, another idea would be, in another month, if he can get another $100, he could get a second GPU and run them in SLI, for a new one they run around $110 from what ive seen
August 4, 2009 3:33:16 AM

Any more thoughts?
August 4, 2009 5:45:20 AM

You dun need SLI/CF on a 19" but move to a superior single GPU solution in future perhaps?
August 4, 2009 1:42:42 PM

batuchka - I was looking over what you posted, I've had trouble with G.Skill memory in the past, so i think ill stick with the OCZ. Also I've never heard of that brand of motherboard... Ill have to look into it some..
August 5, 2009 9:02:01 AM

Well thats an outstanding 1066 CL5 pair o RAMs but well if u more comfy with a brand you have trusted why not ^^ The motherboard is a great 790GX mATX that i have built with countless times and is dependable, responsive and all solid caps ^^ Good to go with Fedora, Ubuntu, etc if dats your kindda thang hehe

FYI: where i'm at and a lot of crack enthusiast places it is a choice low cost/budget 'unlocker' board but i recommended a 720BE and maybe either stock or OC for your purposes :p 
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22...
!