2500k cooler CM hyper + 212 dual fans vs Thermaltake Frio

Tin88

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Looking for a CPU cooler for intel i5 2500K. Was going to buy the Cooler Master hyperplus 212 and put another fan on it. I I was reading articles online and I came across a magazine from the UK ( can't recall the name I'll have to check my laptop) and for all there AMD and intel 1155 test builds they all used the Thermaltake Frio. I'm wondering which is going to be the best in terms of cooling power.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You must remember that the Frio is double the price of the Hyper 212+...

Personally I love my 212+ in push-pull config, it works wonderfully and it was cheap as dirt. The Frio isn't too nice, it's a little noisy and doesn't perform as well as it should. If you're looking at something else also, I'd consider the Cooler Master V6GT as well. Looks better (more professional than the Frio, the Frio is very "dazzling") and performs great. Oh, and you get a white version as well. I'd consider the V6GT if I were you.

PS: Make sure it's the V6GT, and not the normal V6. The normal V6 was built and it failed horribly, it was noisy and didn't cool at all like it should. They revised the cooler and released the V6GT, which was infinitely better.

beenthere

Distinguished
The 212+ is definitely the best performance cooler value. If you want extreme cooling then there are a number of much more expensive HSFs available. In the extreme HSF category the new Xigmatek Aegir 128264 is the best performance/value leader and only needs one fan - but extreme coolers are large so be sure you have enough room for them. Read the HSF reviews at Frosty Tech for more details.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK

Tin88

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Yea I was just looking at the top 5 by temp. On frosty and there all old units. I just wanna see if anyone has 212+ with dual fans so I can see there results. I would like to OC my CPU as much as possible on air for a reasonable price tho. Xigmatek has a few higher end ones like the Dark Knight.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have the 212+ with two fans. It cools like crazy. From 2.6GHz to 3.4GHz on my Core 2 Quad Q8400 the cooler keeps the CPU temp below 50'C under full load for extended times, so that's a good factor to keep in mind when considering that most coolers costing twice as much doesn't even cool that well. In idle the temps are even lower, depending directly on the room temperature but going down as low as 24'C once when it was quite cool in my room.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
The second fan will cool things down about three degrees Celsius. The Blade runner fan that comes with the CM 212+ does a really good job. If your going to add a fan for a few degree decrease, I recommend getting the same fan that comes with the 212. That way you can match airflow easier. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069 keep in mind your only talking a couple/few degree better with the two fans over just one.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have the same setup - I got the Hyper 212 and added a spare Antec 120MM fan w/ blue LED lights to it, it is quite an amazing cooler, it keeps my CPU cool to 23'C without any effort whatsoever, and it's quiet - I barely know my computer's on half the time! Plus my computer now has this really sweet blue glow coming from it, it's hypnotic almost.