Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking with 1600 and 2133

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2011 1:02:27 AM

I have two different 8gb sets of G.Skill RAM and am unsure how I should go about overclocking them. I'm currently running them both at 1600 CL 9 1T dual channel but want to run them at 1866 or 2133 CL 8 or 9.

I'm using an Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard and an i7 2600k.

These are the two sets.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Should I have the 2133 in slot 1+3 (closer to the CPU) and the 1600 in slots 2+4 or the other way around?

Also what is the max voltage I should have them running at? I've read figures like 1.58 and 1.6 but some people run 1.65 sets too.

Thanks

More about : overclocking 1600 2133

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 1:42:29 AM

Mixing RAM especially different model RAM DIMMs is never recommended as often it will not function without issues. If you want to OC then you should use TWO DIMMs only as most mobos default to the CPU/RAM frequency when all DIMM slots are filled. EVen if your mobo does not do this it is much more difficult for the memory controller to work stable at higher RAM frequencies with more than two DIMMs as more time is required to access all of the DIMMs.

It's also worth noting that OC'ing comes with risks of hardware damage and lost data. That being said OC'ing RAM produces a very small gain in system performance typically in the ~1% range and is not worth it if it cause system instability and BSOD.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263...
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 1:58:41 AM

in addition, both AMD and Intel CPUs support only a native frequency of 1333 MHz, and i was recommended by AMD that any frequency above 1333 MHz could damage the IMC(Integrated Memory Controller) in the Phenom II CPU over time.
technically there are no much performance benefit between 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz, and 1866 will help only in Extreme Overclocking, going beyond 2000 MHz with 1600 MHz RAM will cause instability and BSOD and well require over-voltage which could damage the RAM anytime
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2011 5:24:09 AM

Ok that is great and all but I'm still going to do it anyways. Can somebody actually answer my questions?

Quote:
Should I have the 2133 in slot 1+3 (closer to the CPU) and the 1600 in slots 2+4 or the other way around?

Also what is the max voltage I should have them running at? I've read figures like 1.58 and 1.6 but some people run 1.65 sets too.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 6:03:43 AM

No one can answer your question because no one knows if the RAM with even function when you mix RAM. All you can do is try it and see what happens.
m
l
September 20, 2011 6:35:41 AM

beenthere said:
No one can answer your question because no one knows if the RAM with even function when you mix RAM. All you can do is try it and see what happens.

Um did you not read my post? I'm already using my mixed set of RAM perfectly fine. I'm just looking to overclock them now. Its not like I asked something stupid like "how high can I OC them and what timings I should?"

I'm just wondering what is the max voltage I should use with an i7 2600k's memory controller?

And lets say I only use one set. Would it be better to have them in slots 1+3 or 2+4 to achieve the best results?

Edit: Looks like I'll have to follow the advice in your sig.

"READ THIS: A GOOGLE SEARCH WILL ANSWER 98% OF ALL QUESTIONS ASKED IN FORUMS !"
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 6:42:24 AM

what do you plan to achieve by overclocking the ram? becaus all you will get is 1 FPS more at the most if you lower detail settings in games (at max detail oc ram has no effect as the strain is on the gpu). and your video will encode 1 second faster. If you want to do it despite getting no real gain while risking damage to your computer then go ahead, do it in small increments as with all overclocking till you reach an unstable point then bump up voltage. and YES, USE GOOGLE. all this info is already there.
m
l
September 20, 2011 7:22:21 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
what do you plan to achieve by overclocking the ram? becaus all you will get is 1 FPS more at the most if you lower detail settings in games (at max detail oc ram has no effect as the strain is on the gpu). and your video will encode 1 second faster. If you want to do it despite getting no real gain while risking damage to your computer then go ahead, do it in small increments as with all overclocking till you reach an unstable point then bump up voltage. and YES, USE GOOGLE. all this info is already there.

I compress data for many hours daily while editing and encoding videos. I often play games at the same time too(l4d2, sc2 and bfbc2). In the future I plan to do some number crunching but I might just build a workstation server for that.

But does it really matter what I'm doing it for? I already know that 98% of real time applications don't see much gains from faster RAM. All I wanted to know was what is the optimal setup for my RAM and what is the max amount of voltage an i7 2600k's memory controller can take before it becomes a risk? :sweat: 

Oh and in case somebody else other than myself was wondering, Intel recommends using jedec memory specifications +5%. So for 1.5 RAM you should be doing something like 1.575 (1.58 was right)

About which slots to use in order to achieve best results I'll figure that one out on my own through personal testing (something I wanted to avoid doing by asking here).

Thanks anyways!
m
l
!