squelchy451

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hi
I have 3 HDD inside my desktop. I want to use two of them for RAID 0 for performance boost and use the other one as my internal backup hard drive. I'm planning to use the RAID controller that is built into my motherboard. Would that be possible? TO set up the raid, I just go into the BIOS settings and select the drive. Any potential problems with this system?

Thanks!

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
I think this would work fine as long as your backup drive is approximately 2x the size of your other individual drives. For example 2 500GB drives in RAID0 and 1 1TB drive as backup. This is basically what I do. I have 2x 320GB drives in RAID0 and 1x 750GB external HD that I write backup images to.

Also, If planning a raid0 for performance - look into shortstroking. You lose space, but gain performance over standard raid0 setup.

Using the 2 x 500 gig drives, which when raided equals one 1 TB drive. In bios when you set the amount of space to use as a volume you only select 30 -> 50% and do nothing with the remainer. Going from 50% -> 30 %, the greater the performance increase. Reason you loss space. Performance gain is that only the outer portion of the platers are used. Normal raid0 does NOT improve Access time, this method does! Ex 2 x 650 WD blacks, access time approx 12.6 mSec - shortstocked to 30% (only 360 Gigs availble) will decrease Acess time to about 9.5 mSec. Gives about a 30% increase inperformance ove standard raid, BUT lose 70 % of capacity.