Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 11:58:42 AM

HI my computer is a
core 2 duo 2.2ghz
1gb ddr2 ram
with resolution 1440 x 900
my friend suggest me to buy a XFX 9400gt graphic card(which he is using)
i am going to use it mainly for gaming
will it be good for my computer??
please suggest me a graphic card at a price range of INR 3000-3500
thank u in advance

More about : xfx 9400gt

a c 271 U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 12:56:21 PM

The 9400GT is not a gaming card, at the very least try and get a 9600GT/GSO.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 2:42:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestion
BUT
it is too costly for me can u suggest a gaming card with a lower cost
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 4:30:11 PM

ati 4670
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 4:40:40 PM

3000-3500 is ver tight budget..
For Rs 4000 you can get a HD 4670 which is more that twice as fast as any card below its price.

Highly recommended!

9400GT won't even run crysis at lowest.
a c 145 U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 4:59:26 PM

HD 4650 or
HD 4670

if you can add a bit more cash on your budget i suggest you to get 4670.
if not take 4650.just make sure its using GDDR3
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:03:17 PM

THANK U ALL for your Suggestions
wil HD4650 be better ? can i buy it? if i want to buy HD 4670 i hav to wait for few months due to budget problem ..what should i do ? please suggest me weather to wait for HD 4670 (wil it be worth waiting) or buy HD 4650 now
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:16:20 PM

it will be worth waiting when ati launches its new series the 48xx series will drop quite a bit in price estimtes add up to a 20% price cut on current ati cards so you'll maybe get a 4830 at a 4670 price
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:20:32 PM

obsidian86 said:
it will be worth waiting when ati launches its new series the 48xx series will drop quite a bit in price estimtes add up to a 20% price cut on current ati cards so you'll maybe get a 4830 at a 4670 price

can u please tell me approximately how long i have to wait for the price drop
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:22:32 PM

round thanksgiving or halloween
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:28:06 PM

obsidian86 said:
round thanksgiving or halloween

Thank u for the information ..then i wil better wait and grab the 4830
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 5:47:17 PM

I doubt you will get that card for that price.

Hardwares especially GFX cards are more expensive in INDIA than what you see on Newegg.

I still believe 4670 would be your best bet.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 10:45:48 AM

shubham1401 said:
Wow expensive stuff.
You can compare:

http://www.lynx-india.com/
cheapest 4670 is 670 R8
Rs48=1$

thank u for ur information ..i had decided to buy a 4670
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 10:50:23 AM

some of my friends are telling ati is junk.... is it true? wat do u think is there any disadvantages in ati when compared to nvidia
August 25, 2009 12:14:04 PM

Quote:
some of my friends are telling ati is junk.... is it true? wat do u think is there any disadvantages in ati when compared to nvidia

This is a metropolitan legend that maybe was true many years ago, but not now. The problem with these things is that people only remember bad things and bring them on in the future. Many years ago Ati cards had many problems with drivers and so they had the reputation of being worser than Nvidia cards. However things have changed today and Catalyst drivers are on par with Forceware ones (the only big difference is for what concerns SLI/Crossfire profiles, but it's gonna change soon). Many still believe that Ati cards are inferior apart from drivers and card-to-card benchmarks because they don't have the same Physics engine as Nvidia nor they can use some software made specifically for them for video making (or they are not so diffused).

The truth of the matter is that it depends primarly on what games you want to play: many games play almost the same (naturally depending on type of card) with Nvidia and Ati, but there are some titles that prefer an architecture. Dead Space for example is very bad for Ati cards, while Conan is worser for Nvidia. Some titles then uses integrated GPU phychics made by Nvidia and can have some problems with Ati cards, but in the majority of cases the challenge is more based on hardware than these sort of things.

Ati cards cost less and perform almost on par with Nvidia cards (at last in the majority of cases, there are exceptions of course; for example the higher end single-gpu Nvidia card is much better than the same by Ati, but the prince change is steep). The drivers are good for both brandings. It depends only if you want to pay more for some things that Nvidia has and Ati doesn't, if the increase in performance in some cases or if the games you like to play on doesn't use Ati so well and if these things suffice the increased price. Some people think that paying more for it is justified, some thinks not. I suggest you to make your own opinion based on facts (i.e. benchmarks of titles you know you want to play) instead of relying in legends or earsay.

What I can tell you for sure is that many hardware sites (and also TH) have no problems on suggesting readers to buy Ati cards for systems, and on the contrary many "systems for the money" are suggested with Ati cards. Do you believe more what your friends says relying on earsay or what experts think on the matter?
a c 145 U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 1:43:57 PM

@selea
nice explaination ;) 
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 3:14:54 PM

selea is right.But if you really wanna buy nvidia the equivalent ti 4670 is 9600GSO.

Whatever you buy just keep in mind that you get a GDDR3 card with 512mb graphic memory.
1 GB is a waste on these cards which can't utilize them properly.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 3:59:19 PM

selea said:
This is a metropolitan legend that maybe was true many years ago, but not now. The problem with these things is that people only remember bad things and bring them on in the future. Many years ago Ati cards had many problems with drivers and so they had the reputation of being worser than Nvidia cards. However things have changed today and Catalyst drivers are on par with Forceware ones (the only big difference is for what concerns SLI/Crossfire profiles, but it's gonna change soon). Many still believe that Ati cards are inferior apart from drivers and card-to-card benchmarks because they don't have the same Physics engine as Nvidia nor they can use some software made specifically for them for video making (or they are not so diffused).

The truth of the matter is that it depends primarly on what games you want to play: many games play almost the same (naturally depending on type of card) with Nvidia and Ati, but there are some titles that prefer an architecture. Dead Space for example is very bad for Ati cards, while Conan is worser for Nvidia. Some titles then uses integrated GPU phychics made by Nvidia and can have some problems with Ati cards, but in the majority of cases the challenge is more based on hardware than these sort of things.

Ati cards cost less and perform almost on par with Nvidia cards (at last in the majority of cases, there are exceptions of course; for example the higher end single-gpu Nvidia card is much better than the same by Ati, but the prince change is steep). The drivers are good for both brandings. It depends only if you want to pay more for some things that Nvidia has and Ati doesn't, if the increase in performance in some cases or if the games you like to play on doesn't use Ati so well and if these things suffice the increased price. Some people think that paying more for it is justified, some thinks not. I suggest you to make your own opinion based on facts (i.e. benchmarks of titles you know you want to play) instead of relying in legends or earsay.

What I can tell you for sure is that many hardware sites (and also TH) have no problems on suggesting readers to buy Ati cards for systems, and on the contrary many "systems for the money" are suggested with Ati cards. Do you believe more what your friends says relying on earsay or what experts think on the matter?

Thanks selea for ur wonderful explanation and now i am clear in what to buy
!