Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best LGA 775 MB for two 295 gtxs

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 26, 2010 11:42:42 PM

Hello all. So I have a q6600 from my current system and I don't feel like dropping the cash for a upgrade already. I am quite happy with it. A quick search on newegg tells me that there isn't much left in the 775 department. So I am looking for a new (or used...ebay?) MB (775) that can handle the 295's and plus have room for the waterblocks that would be attached to them.

Any suggestions?

More about : lga 775 295 gtxs

a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 12:29:57 AM

kinglou said:
Hello all. So I have a q6600 from my current system and I don't feel like dropping the cash for a upgrade already. I am quite happy with it. A quick search on newegg tells me that there isn't much left in the 775 department. So I am looking for a new (or used...ebay?) MB (775) that can handle the 295's and plus have room for the waterblocks that would be attached to them.

Any suggestions?


Do not get the board that Upendra09 recommended as that is crossfire only, for SLI you will need a board with nforce chipset.

A quick search on newegg returned these boards for intel CPUs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nforce+intel&x=0&y=0
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 1:42:50 AM

oohh bad go with loth


sorry!
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:28:42 AM

I'd suggest ASUS Striker II Formula, had one, and worked GREAT... so bad you can no longer buy nuew ones... but at least a used one would be good
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 3:50:50 AM

grossemesser said:
I'd suggest ASUS Striker II Formula, had one, and worked GREAT... so bad you can no longer buy nuew ones... but at least a used one would be good


I will check out the Striker. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 2:06:35 PM

This is nearly as funny as the guy who had the Pentium D and an ATI 5970. Balance man... balance. If you can afford two 295 GTXs... you can afford a full system update. You had better have a record setting overclock on your CPU or else you're going to be CPU limited and will have wasted money.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 4:59:20 PM

rodney_ws said:
This is nearly as funny as the guy who had the Pentium D and an ATI 5970. Balance man... balance. If you can afford two 295 GTXs... you can afford a full system update. You had better have a record setting overclock on your CPU or else you're going to be CPU limited and will have wasted money.



@rodney_ws

Well the 295's were given to me, that's all I can say. I just can't believe my q6600 can't keep up with these? If I HAD to choose a i7...which one would be the best in your opinion.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 5:32:07 PM

go for an i5 if you are going to upgrade and gammimg is your main concern. you probably wont see any losses due to the two cards being in 8x slots. Better yet sell everything on ebay and buy one 5970. And no, your stock q66 wont keep up. if its at 3.7ghz maybe it will
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 5:34:29 PM

rodney_ws said:
This is nearly as funny as the guy who had the Pentium D and an ATI 5970. Balance man... balance. If you can afford two 295 GTXs... you can afford a full system update. You had better have a record setting overclock on your CPU or else you're going to be CPU limited and will have wasted money.


haha yeah i started laughing. I have sticky drag radial tires on my saab... but no power to spin them.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 5:55:31 PM

ewood said:
go for an i5 if you are going to upgrade and gammimg is your main concern. you probably wont see any losses due to the two cards being in 8x slots. Better yet sell everything on ebay and buy one 5970. And no, your stock q66 wont keep up. if its at 3.7ghz maybe it will


I can get it up to 3.6...I have never purchased an ATI card before.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 6:05:05 PM

I'm still not convinced investing money in the 775 platform is the way to go at this point. If possible sell your old parts for as much money as you can and jump on the i5 bandwagon with plans of overclocking to at least 3.6 GHz. Though I'd prefer ATI cards, two 295s would still make a BRUTAL gaming setup if backed up by the right processor.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 6:15:35 PM

Upendra09 said:
oohh bad go with loth


sorry!



glasshopper
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 6:17:58 PM

kinglou said:
Hello all. So I have a q6600 from my current system and I don't feel like dropping the cash for a upgrade already. I am quite happy with it. A quick search on newegg tells me that there isn't much left in the 775 department. So I am looking for a new (or used...ebay?) MB (775) that can handle the 295's and plus have room for the waterblocks that would be attached to them.

Any suggestions?




http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

these are the only options on a 775 board

Nvidia only does SLI it stopped when it went to 1336 and 1156..

m
0
l
January 27, 2010 6:20:30 PM

Hellboy said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

these are the only options on a 775 board

Nvidia only does SLI it stopped when it went to 1336 and 1156..



Its funny because I have this board already with my 9800gx2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One of the three left in retail existence. I may give it a go with my current board and see if they can both fit into this board...the pci-e slots are pretty close together.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 8:14:43 PM

Hellboy said:
glasshopper


can't even spell can you

damn brits :D  :whistle: 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 8:28:13 PM

@kinglou,
someone else advised me once before that you can get risers for the slots, so while the board may look too cramped for the cards, "where there is a will, there is a way".
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 8:36:30 PM

ewood said:
you probably wont see any losses due to the two cards being in 8x slots.


I don't think this is entirely accurate.. A GTX 295 I believe will fully saturate a pci-e 2.0 x8 slot.. An ATI 4870 is able to saturate a x8 slot.. You're gonna want a mobo with two pci-e slots at full x16 speeds with a sli north bridge chipset.

You better be running a 30" monitor or something to be using two 295's in one system, LOL. That's a lot of graphics horsepower you're gonna waste if you put it in one system running a monitor lower than 30"..

I'd recommend going i5/i7 with a SLI capable motherboard (you need to make sure they are SLI enabled as some x58 motherboards are NOT because they didn't pay nvidia the licensing fees)

If you want to stay with lga775, the striker ii is good i suppose.. It's just that some people have found nvidia chipsets really quirky and buggy, especially when trying to overclock.. you should research this as the striker ii uses the 790i nb chipset..
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 8:40:52 PM

aberchonbie said:
I don't think this is entirely accurate.. A GTX 295 I believe will fully saturate a pci-e 2.0 x8 slot.. An ATI 4870 is able to saturate a x8 slot.. You're gonna want a mobo with two pci-e slots at full x16 speeds with a sli north bridge chipset.

You better be running a 30" monitor or something to be using two 295's in one system, LOL. That's a lot of graphics horsepower you're gonna waste if you put it in one system running a monitor lower than 30"..

I'd recommend going i5/i7 with a SLI capable motherboard (you need to make sure they are SLI enabled as some x58 motherboards are NOT because they didn't pay nvidia the licensing fees)

If you want to stay with lga775, the striker ii is good i suppose.. It's just that some people have found nvidia chipsets really quirky and buggy, especially when trying to overclock.. you should research this as the striker ii uses the 790i nb chipset..


not entirely sure where you heard/learned this but a 4870 can not saturate a 8x slot. A 4890 cant either. a 5850 will not for the most part and a 5870 may, but you wont notice any significant performance loss. a gtx295 may be able to, but frame rates will be so high it really will make no difference.
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 8:40:54 PM

aberchonbie said:
I don't think this is entirely accurate.. A GTX 295 I believe will fully saturate a pci-e 2.0 x8 slot.. An ATI 4870 is able to saturate a x8 slot.. You're gonna want a mobo with two pci-e slots at full x16 speeds with a sli north bridge chipset.

You better be running a 30" monitor or something to be using two 295's in one system, LOL. That's a lot of graphics horsepower you're gonna waste if you put it in one system running a monitor lower than 30"..

I'd recommend going i5/i7 with a SLI capable motherboard (you need to make sure they are SLI enabled as some x58 motherboards are NOT because they didn't pay nvidia the licensing fees)

If you want to stay with lga775, the striker ii is good i suppose.. It's just that some people have found nvidia chipsets really quirky and buggy, especially when trying to overclock.. you should research this as the striker ii uses the 790i nb chipset..


Well, I have a 46 lcd tv that I was planning on using for this. Its a full 1080p tv. Could I get away with using one 295 and selling the other one? Or future proof myself and keep them both?
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 9:05:50 PM

1080p tv = 1920x1080 resolution which is fine for just 1 gtx 295..
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 9:11:27 PM

aberchonbie said:
1080p tv = 1920x1080 resolution which is fine for just 1 gtx 295..


So I wouldn't see much a difference with two?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 9:12:01 PM

kinglou said:
Well, I have a 46 lcd tv that I was planning on using for this. Its a full 1080p tv. Could I get away with using one 295 and selling the other one? Or future proof myself and keep them both?


Yes, a GTX 295 will play most games at good FPS on high level details at 1080p.

As to using 2 GTX 295, I could tell a noticeable difference going from a Q6600 @ 3.6 to an i7 920 @ 4.0 using one GTX 295, so running 2 will give you a lot of GPU power, however I do not believe you will get their full potential, as your CPU will be a bottleneck.
m
0
l
!