Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 9800GT Power Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2009 1:16:44 PM

Have the XFX GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support for my kids PC...has been working ok, had to add the Ultra 650 power supply. Recently stopped working, would not power up. Swapped out power supply no luck, unplugged Video Card and it fired up ok. Hooking back power to video card fans would start to turn for half a sec but no power. I removed the card and am running vga for now but would like to put video card back in. Don't mind buying another one but would like opinions if that would solve problem. Do not know how to trouble shoot any further, no extra workstation to try it on. Thanks in advance
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2009 1:28:41 PM

My first thought is that the PSU is not up to task, not enough amperage. Can you not find a PC shop that can test the card for you?
m
l
August 24, 2009 1:34:04 PM

I can look into that...I had a 350 watt so I upgraded to the 650 when I bought the video card, swapped out a 550, still no luck...I would think (however I am pretty much a novice) the 650 would be sufficient, and it had worked since early Janurary 2009. thanks for the advice
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 9:43:26 PM

It isn't the PSU. I had the same problem with the XFX GeForce 9800 GT. I think that the Video Card either got to hot, or it has just become old. I bought mine about a year ago or so and it just failed last week. I noticed the same thing.. when the PSU power is plugged into the video card (even when the card isn't attached to the PCI-E slot) the computer will not power on, however when the PSU power is removed from the card the computer will then power on and resume past POST.

The video card must have short circuited and is taking more power than what it needs.
m
l
!