Sign in with
Your question

Issues upgrating ram on Dell Dimension 8400

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2010 1:27:57 AM

I am trying to upgrade my computers ram and have thus far been unable to. I keep getting either blue screens with error codes after the windows start up page or a black screen which reads no keyboard or an error regarding a config/win32. I get a blue screen with the original ram plus the new ram (Corsair 1gb 667mhz x2). If I try to boot up with just the new ram I get the black screen with the error codes. Any help would be appreciated. The computer is about 5 years old and currently has 512 ram with a Pentium 4 h/t processor. Thank you
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 1:42:22 AM

what kind of RAM DDR or DDR2?
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:47:05 AM

Sorry I am trying to upgrade with ddr2. I ran a diagnostic and this was the type they said I should get. Once I was in my computer I noticed the existing ram has an r1 on it not ddr but just r1. That is why I tried to boot up with just the new ram figured maybe there was a compatibility issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 2:01:24 AM

Upendra09 said:
what kind of RAM DDR or DDR2?

DUH! Maybe you might check the specs on the system you are commenting on! You would actually find that STUPIDLY responding to EVERY message doesn't make you a veteran, it just shows you have NO LIFE!

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...

Go out to the Crucial site and search for your computer, it'll tell you what memory you need...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 8:25:14 PM

marcellis22 said:
DUH! Maybe you might check the specs on the system you are commenting on! You would actually find that STUPIDLY responding to EVERY message doesn't make you a veteran, it just shows you have NO LIFE!

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...

Go out to the Crucial site and search for your computer, it'll tell you what memory you need...

no need to insult

first of all i didn't try to get the veteran status it jsut happened since i post a lot in the CPU section

second of all don't go about talking about other people's lives. If you take every person seriously on the internets, then it jsut means you yourself don't have life, because you take someone seriously who you have never met and may never meat in your life

to the OP

is sounds like you have a bad RAM stick, you should RMA it and get a new one
m
l
January 27, 2010 8:33:20 PM

Upendra09 said:
no need to insult

first of all i didn't try to get the veteran status it jsut happened since i post a lot in the CPU section

second of all don't go about talking about other people's lives. If you take every person seriously on the internets, then it jsut means you yourself don't have life, because you take someone seriously who you have never met and may never meat in your life

to the OP

is sounds like you have a bad RAM stick, you should RMA it and get a new one

Thanks for the replies. I am using the proper ram according to the specs. This is the second set I have tried. Both have failed. Would it be necessary to manually set the bios for the new ram. I was under the assumption this was going to be an easy upgrade and I have never messed with the bios.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 8:41:24 PM

no it shouldn't be necessary to do anything in the BIOS

is this the second set of Crucial memory that you're using?
m
l
January 27, 2010 9:55:30 PM

tmdcknsn said:
I am trying to upgrade my computers ram and have thus far been unable to. I keep getting either blue screens with error codes after the windows start up page or a black screen which reads no keyboard or an error regarding a config/win32. I get a blue screen with the original ram plus the new ram (Corsair 1gb 667mhz x2). If I try to boot up with just the new ram I get the black screen with the error codes. Any help would be appreciated. The computer is about 5 years old and currently has 512 ram with a Pentium 4 h/t processor. Thank you

this system only supports ddr2 memory speeds of maximum 533MHz

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/e...

go to page 107 on this manual :hello: 
m
l
January 27, 2010 11:40:03 PM

steevyp said:
this system only supports ddr2 memory speeds of maximum 533MHz

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/e...

go to page 107 on this manual :hello: 

This shouldn't matter, the 667 ram should just get automatically clocked down to 533 to match the speed of the memory controller.

Also according to the manual you motherboard supports a maximum of 1 GB per slot so its not a density problem.

download memtest86+ and burn it onto a disk. then boot off of the disk with 1 stick of the new ram at a time and test it to see if it is giving you any errors. if it does then the memory is bad. if the memory checks out you could try playing with the voltage and timings to see if you can get it to work.
m
l
!