How to install Zalman CNPS 9900 Max on n Asus P8P67 PRO B3?

Slason

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to install a Zalman CNPS 9900 Max on my ASUS P8P67 PRO B3. The problem is, that where the backplate of the CPU cooler is suppose to be, there is no room. It's already a "backplate" there which holds the CPU in plate, so I can't remove that one.

How am I suppose to install this CPU fan in this motherboard then? Any suggestions?

beenthere

Distinguished
You need to REPLACE the OE backplate with the Zalman backplate to install the Zalman HSF. The CPU is held in place by the CPU socket not the OE backplate which usually sticks to the mobo after you remove the screws or pins holding the OE CPU mounting bracket in place.

Slason

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

You mean that I need to place the CPU fan directly at the top of the CPU, and use that one to hold it in place? I'm not to good with the names, but when I remove the backplate, there is nothing to hold the CPU at place. So should I remove this one as well (see pic):

616603.jpg

Slason

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
That's the backplate yes. I followed the directions, but I still can't get it to fit. All of the four "legs" won't go into the four holes on the motherboard. How can I make it fit? The cooler should fit, because CNPS 9900 MAX is compatible with 1155 sockets.

nepdyse

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Having the exact same problem. The Cooler heatsink doesn't rest completely on the motherboard, there a gap and the screws they provided aren't long enough. Any solutions?

nepdyse

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I didn't use the loading block. Like I said I'm confident I did everything right. The fact is that the heatsink wings that you use screws to attach screws to the backplate aren't long enough and neither are the screws.

TechTheRevolution

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I'm having the same issue. Trying to figure something out. one possible option im thinking is a 1 inch or 3/4 inch long 6-32 screw set, it's 98 cents at home depot. and use the nuts instead of the bolts that come with the cooler. screwing the nuts on the back of the backplate. i just threw the stock cpu cooler last night when building out of frustration. trying to have this together for bf3 and in time!!!

lguimu

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

f0419

Look at the picture below, it worked to me. I did it using a rotary tool (dremel). My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe

Good luck!

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/f0419

nonentity

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi

Sorry for this bit of thread necromancy but I'm facing the same problem ... or have faced, because I already installed the cooler, incorrectly. The cpu is running find and at normal temperatures so I can't have messed up too badly but I'd really like to correct the mistake, and sooner than later. I already wrote Zalman in regards to spare parts, where to get them or what other advice they can give me but I figure, support being what it usually is, I might just get back some automated reply and that's it.

What I did: I also couldn't seem to fit the Zalman backplate over the stock one (Asrock Z77 Pro 3 motherboard, LG 1155), so I removed it. Made sense, remove the one backplate to substitute it with the new one. However, once that one was removed there was nothing to hold the mounting bracket screws in place, the Zalman backplate doesn't have any screwholes for that. By that point the double sided tape was already on and I'm pretty damn sure it can't be removed without tearing apart.

So the cpu is currently pretty much only fixed in place by the heatsink. I guess that's not ... good...? Or might it (I very much doubt it but damn would that be great ...) actually be fine that way, seeing as no problems have presented themselves so far?

Zalman does have custom mounting brackets, the ZM-CS5A, which is compatible with the CNPS 9900 series, however the MAX is specifically *not* mentioned under compatible products, so I'm not sure that would work.

Would such a custom mounting bracket, fixing the cpu in place - if it's compatible, even though I haven't even found a retailer selling those - be enough to fix the problem?

The main problem to just un- and redoing the whole installation of the cooler is the damn double sided tape. There's no spare provided and simple household doublesided tape seems to thin. Maybe there's some way to create a substitute for this double sided tape bit? Or would the installation actually work without it?

What adviced can you give me? Would be very grateful.

TRENDING THREADS