Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2011 12:40:27 PM

So, without doing the proper research, I managed to buy RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600) that won't fit under my CPU cooler (Hyper 212+), and naturally the cooler blocks the first two slots on my mobo. From other posts, I seem to have a couple of options:

1.) Return the RAM and buy something else that fits.
I really don't want to go this route; I bought it from a MicroCenter that is an hour away w/out traffic. And, if I do this, what does everyone recommend?
2.) Remove the heat spreader off one stick
I have read several posts regarding this procedure, but I really don't want to void the warranty if I didn't have to (plus the irreversible damage aspect). Also, will I have heat issues if I OC???

3.) Buy two more sticks of ram that would be compatible with the Corsairs in dual channel mode.
I could definitely do this, but I really need help in finding something that is compatible.

So, what does everyone think is my best course of action?

More about : corsair vengeance

a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2011 12:51:50 PM

The best Option i recommended is #1(If you can return it) because who would even want to take the heatspreader off the ram(It is seriously hard)? and what would you do with the extra 2 RAM stick awhile the other two dont fit? Return the RAM you have and buy those smaller heatspreader like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's a 16GB for $105 but if you want buy it because it's the same price as you buy two set of the 8GB version
m
l
September 23, 2011 3:17:26 PM

Whenever you use a hyper212 always get low profile RAM. Hell, Why not get low profile everytime tho? If I were you I'd suck it up and drive back out and return it and get something that fits. It is the best play for both short and long term
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2011 9:26:43 PM

One option would be if you want to use 4 memory modules, order the Vengeance low profile version of what you already have. The LPs will fit under most heat sinks.
m
l
!