OC'ng Noob... Need help!!!

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi guys

I'm new to these things and have a very limited knowledge concerning computers. I've been reading a few things but can't seem to get the jist of what is been said/explained.
I have no funds to purchase bigger and better pc parts so I was thinking of overclocking my system but now I need assistance.
My system is as follows:

Mobo: KA780GM2(MS-7549)
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245 (2.9GHz)
Ram: 4gig DDR2 800MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX460 1gig Superclocked Edition
PSU: Antec TP750 New
Dunno what other info you might need.

I've checked in the BIOS and the multiplier is at x14 and can't be set any higher. This puts the cpu at 2.9ghz. I can only set it lower :( Does this mean that I can't OC as the motherboard won't allow me to?

I would like to get better performance out of my system up until I can afford to purchase myself a better pc.

Your guys help is much appreciated :bounce:

Solution
In the Cell Menu you need to change the FSB/DRAM Ratio by dropping it one speed. With your chip you should blow past 230MHz, even with the stock cooler.

Remember that everything runs off the system clock. It looks like you have dropped the IMC/NB and HT multipliers to 9x. I would suggest dropping the HT to 8x and raising the IMC/NB to stock 10x. You should lock the PCIe speed to 100MHz, disable Spread Spectrum, and enable Bank Interweaving.

Your 'sweet spot' with the system clock speed is dependent upon the speed of the DDR3 that you selected. If you are running DDR3 1600 it is 240MHz. For DDR3 1333 it is 250MHz. Here's why:

DDR3 1600 at stock is 8 (FSB/DRAM Ratio) X 200MHz (system clock or FSB). If you raise the system clock...
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- You only can change the multiplier when the CPU is unlocked ("BE" for AMD "k" series for Intel) but your CPU is locked multiplier, that means that we need use the FSB (reference clock) for overclock the CPU.
2- What cooler do you have?

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Saint19 thanx for the welcome and reply :)

At this point in time I don't have an aftermarket cooler for my cpu. I am searching for something which would fit into my standard pc case I have

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi saint19...

Ok i've read a bit about locked and unlocked cpu's and FSB. Have a slight understanding, but not all that much. I don't wanna be spoon fed either 'coz next time I won't know what to do. So if you do help me to OC are there tutorials I could read through as well about OC'ng...

I've read that the best way is to isolate your cpu, mobo and memory max OC settings. I've tried the mobo isolating so far. I reach the Reference Clock of 277 with my multiplier on x5 and HT multiplier on x4. Now even when I lower the HT multiplier to x3 my system is still unstable thus me thinking that that is the max my mobo can go...

I'm stuck with isolating the cpu OC as it tells me to set my cpu voltage to 1.3500v. I dunno where to set this though as in the BIOS all I see is DRAm Voltage/ SB Voltage/ NB Voltage. I'm not sure which of the SB or NB ups my cpu voltage.

A little help with that and I can try testing further...

thanx guys

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ok guys if anyone else could in the mean time enlighten me as to where I can change my cpu voltage I'd appreciate it. As I mentioned that in my BIOS it shows DRAM Voltage/ SB Voltage/ NB Voltage. Which of the SB & NB adjusts the cpu voltage value? There is no Vcore as all articles I read mentions

You don't need isolate the mobo at least that you want try extreme overclock (sub-zero temps).

Since you CPU is locked, you need set the RAM to the lowest possible speed for compensate the changes with the reference clock. The SB won't give you any performance advantage, so, keep it at stock. For NB with your CPU the possible value is 2500MHz or 2600MHz at 1.325V max or max voltage that you are using on CPU

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ai now i'm lost.. I can't seem to grasp what needs to be done.
saint19 or anyone else, can you explain what I need to do or is there a oc link you can refer me to which would assist me.

Your CPU is locked,so, for overclock you use the reference clock (FSB) but that FSB is linked with the NB, HT and DRAM frequency. If you change in a little step the FSB all your frequencies also change, CPU, NB, HT and DRAM frequencies are affected.

IN other words, we need keep the NB, HT and DRAM frequencies the most possible close to stock speed (2000MHz for NB and HT and 1600MHz for RAM).

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ok so if I raise the Reference Clock it means I need to lower the HT Multiplier as well as the ram settings to below it's max which is 400mhz...

So in the bios I would leave the cpu multiplier @ x14.5, HT multiplier @ x5/x4, Ram setting @ ddr2 400 (for now). Is this correct?

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Ok either I'm doing something very wrong or my system just isn't meant for overclocking.
I set the Reference Clock to 208, HT +- 2080, NB +- 2080 and memory to 1:1...
At that settings my pc keeps crashing to the BSoD..

I also noticed in cpuid that my TMPIN1 temp is about 120degrees celcius constantly. Even after reverting to all stock settings it's still at that temp. Is this a bad thing ? I'm trying to add a pic of the screen but dunno how....

Did I f%#@ my pc????

cafsta

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I can't set the voltage. Or should I say I don't know where to set the voltage. When I raise the SB or NB voltages it doesn't show in cpu-z that the voltages have been raised or changed.
The only voltage settings are the Dram, SB & NB voltages though