Sign in with
Your question

Home server setup: Samsung F4's stable/suitable?

Last response: in Storage
May 12, 2011 6:30:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting together a home server, and am down to the final piece: the drives. I am currently looking at 4x2tb drives in raid 10. Since this is for home use, price is an object and the HD204UI goes for 'only' $80 a pop over on TD. Anyone have any experience or knowledge with a setup like this?

I'm worried in particular about drives dropping from raid, or other raid specific problems. From what I've researched, they are considered fairly reliable parts on their own but I'd like to avoid issues keeping the raid going once it's put together.

Server specs are:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Raid drives will be on the sata II ports, system drive on one of the sata III ports)
Proc: Core I3 2100
Ram: 2x2gb Corsair
PSU: Ultra LSP 550

Planned uses will be for backing up disks (tired of losing games or finding them scratched), and HTPC (a wall of dvd cases doesn't come across as intellectual as a wall of books...go figure). Any feedback is appreciated!
a b G Storage
May 12, 2011 9:22:54 PM

I'd always recommend using different drives in any raid array to further reduce the chance of multiple disks failing at the same time. So if you can, mix it up a little.

It's my understanding that in true raid 1 using 4x2TB will only give you a 2TB array. Is this really what you want? Surely you'd be better off with RAID 10 or RAID 5 with that number of drives?

I have the Samsung F4. Hasn't failed on me and works as expected. So that's about as much as I can say about it.

m
l
May 12, 2011 9:31:31 PM

Sorry, I did mean raid 10! Originally post is now edited. Thanks for the tip of mixing brands, that is not something I would have considered on my own.

My question rises due to TLER problems I've heard from WD users. Not sure if that is something similar across the board for mfgr's to do (In order to boost 'enterprise' drives) or if its mostly just a WD blunder.

Thanks for the input!
m
l
!