The Best CPU Paste To Buy From This List?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Do you/Can you only get it on Ebay,not locally??
At a guess I would say that there is enough in one tube for 30 or more applications,after all you only need a little more than the equvilent of a grain of rice ..:)

Anything by Artic Silver is pretty much the builders standard. You can't go wrong, and you should be able to buy it from any neighborhood PC shop, and many retail electronics stores like Frys, Best Buy, Radio Shack. It's not hard to find and only costs a few bucks.
You only need a RICE GRAIN SIZE DROP to do the job. Too much is as bad or even worse than not enough when you go to install your heatsink. Remember that!
And 1 tube will last most people the rest of their life, literally. The only thing that happens is it can get dried out after several years.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Alrighty, thanks for the replies.

@ Jit.

I can't go to local PC stores, I live in the U.K and the only local PC store (or closest) is PCWorld, and I checked there, they wanted £15!! (25 bucks) So screw em.

Thanks for all the help. Regarding the rice grain thing, are you 100% sure that a bit more then a rice grain drop is not needed? Like, a few drops at least?

Another question is, does the paste need to be spread out on the whole CPU, or only in the center? Would there be any heating issues if the heatsink copper came intact with the CPU directly?

Thanks again.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Instead of everyone throwing out their favorite flavor of goo, here's a comprehensive review of all the majors out there. There really isn't too much difference once you get to the best performers, but you asked for best:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

As for application methods, they address it in the article for the main types of HSF bases out there. With how little you need to use, any tube you get will be enough for a dozen computers, so you're covered for 3.