How to loosen some screws?

chilypepper

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I have a CM Hyper 212+ and it's been on the cpu (965) for quite some time now and I wnated to replace the thermal compound on it, but I can't get the heatsink screws off, I must have put htem on too tight when I originally installed the heatsink. How can I loosen them some?

If installed properly the base receiving posts (The posts that the heat sink mounting screws actually screw into.), are cut on one side to fit into the base plate and lock in place and not turn when loosening, are the base posts turning when you try to loosen the top screws?

If the base posts are turning in place you need to tighten the securing nuts to keep the posts from turning, however if they are turning it is an indication the base plate was not properly installed you would need to pull the entire mounting assembly and remount it properly.

If the screws are snug and the base posts are not turning just apply a little quick snapping counter clockwise turning pressure to pop the screws loose from the mounting posts, being careful not to slip off and damage the motherboard with the screwdriver, and don't tighten so tight next time.

It also wouldn't hurt to put a thin film of oil on the screw threads so it doesn't happen again.