System won't power up

elybeth

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I'm a newby in computer and someone told me the quick way to learn is by building my own. Well, I did. I just finish assembling mine and when I plugged it in, I didn't get anything, I mean nothing except for onboard LED on the mobo. Can someone give me advise. I need desperate help.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Double check PSU connections- you didn't give me much to work with. What fans are spinning? Are any? Is CPU installed correctly? Did you not install the RAM? Is the monitor on? Is the monitor plugged in? Is there a solid connection to the monitor? Triple check everything, make sure you didn't miss a step.

And...so where is the person who told you to build your own? Not much help now, is he/she?
Anyway, go through the checklist to see if you can pinpoint your problem.

elybeth

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

Thanks for the help, but I finally found my first problem which was. The power switch connector was backwards. I got it booting but it's saying 'bad bios checksum' what ever that means. Also it keeps looking for Floppy(none installed), CD/DVD(installed) and USB. It keep going over and over and can't stop with any keys but to turn the power off. Hope you can help me with this. Thanks.

reset your CMOS, your manual should tell you the location of the jumpers to do so, and please post your full system specs, it helps us narrow down what parts are likely to be an issue.

BTW its not possible for a push button switch to be in backwards, as you can simulate it by shorting the pins with a screw driver, so you must have done something else when you were 'fixing' the switch that made it work.

elybeth

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

The 2 tiny wires green and white (+/-) to the motherboard was switch around.