Sign in with
Your question

Online backup storage

Last response: in Storage
May 12, 2011 10:57:44 PM

Been looking around to implement an online backup solutions for our server. Here are the factors

1. We wanted to offsite back up an Acronis image of the entire server. This is one file that is about 40gigs, and maybe 20gigs of other stuff
2. Update it everyday.

Sounds kind a wack right? To upload a +40gig file everyday over the Internet. Well, that's what my boss wants.
I'd appreciate it if someone has an alternative approach to this issue. Thanks.

More about : online backup storage

a b G Storage
May 12, 2011 11:29:48 PM

You don't necessarily need to update 40GB every day. You can just do a diff between the current system and what's stored online.

Why don't you check out Rsync.
May 12, 2011 11:54:36 PM

Rusting In Peace said:
You don't necessarily need to update 40GB every day. You can just do a diff between the current system and what's stored online.

Why don't you check out Rsync.

this is a single image file that is 40gigs. If this one file is updated everyday, then it would do so on the online backup also? Then all 40gigs need to be uploaded.
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 13, 2011 8:10:14 AM

The single file could be fragmented into multiple files. This can be done with WinRar like this.
a b G Storage
May 13, 2011 7:53:53 PM

First of all, I would try to find-out the "root need" behind the request. There are a lot of technicalities that could make the proposed solution unworkable. Why offsite? Why online? Why daily? Why full image backup?

Only if you know those answers will you be able to find alternatives.
May 13, 2011 9:25:36 PM

Zenthar said:
First of all, I would try to find-out the "root need" behind the request. There are a lot of technicalities that could make the proposed solution unworkable. Why offsite? Why online? Why daily? Why full image backup?

Only if you know those answers will you be able to find alternatives.

ok, we need offsite because of protection from fire, flood, destruction of office, etc.
Why online, because my boss does not trust anyone to take home an external HDD in case it gets stolen from the car, etc.
Why daily, even in an event of a total disaster, he needs the latest information he can get when the server comes back.
Why full image backup, acronis uses the universal restore that will allow us to recreate the entire server on another hardware. I tested this with a P4 machine that was about 6years old, and restored onto a modern PC running core2duo.
a b G Storage
May 14, 2011 7:24:49 PM

Few other questions:
  • How much history do you need to keep (if you make a full backup and overwrite it, you can never recover from an error dating more than the previous day)?
  • What is the expected recovery time?
    !