Sign in with
Your question

How can I upgrade my laptop's graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2009 9:35:04 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-SV915 and it says it has an expresscard slot.
What type of graphics card would be compatible with it?
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2009 9:53:36 PM

The simple answer is none.

There are (rumors of) some external boxes (like the ASUS XG station) that will house any single card width PCI-E graphics card, but I've never seen the XG Station actually hit the market. I have seen some competitor's solutions, but at a cost where it would be more reasonable to get a new system.

The main problem is the bandwidth of the expresscard slot. You're limited to PCI-Ex1 and all mid-range to high-end cards are going to be severely capped by that limitation; to the point of it being a waste of money.

-Wolf sends
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 9:56:16 PM

thats they simple answer but if you want a bit more out of it max the ram
Related resources
August 24, 2009 11:07:16 PM

Wolfshadw said:
The simple answer is none.

There are (rumors of) some external boxes (like the ASUS XG station) that will house any single card width PCI-E graphics card, but I've never seen the XG Station actually hit the market. I have seen some competitor's solutions, but at a cost where it would be more reasonable to get a new system.

The main problem is the bandwidth of the expresscard slot. You're limited to PCI-Ex1 and all mid-range to high-end cards are going to be severely capped by that limitation; to the point of it being a waste of money.

-Wolf sends

So if I bought something from here:

it would work?
a c 86 U Graphics card
August 24, 2009 11:38:13 PM

ptto911 said:
So if I bought something from here:

it would work?

those look like server stuff, VERY expensive and utterly useless in your situation...

edit: oops correction, the first ones look like they could work just fine... might still cost a quite a lot thou...
August 25, 2009 2:44:33 AM

Kari said:
those look like server stuff, VERY expensive and utterly useless in your situation...

edit: oops correction, the first ones look like they could work just fine... might still cost a quite a lot thou...

Yeah, I would get that, except that it's 2x the price of my laptop.
I should get a new laptop with a better graphics card built in I guess...
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2009 3:05:05 AM

If gaming is the reason for the need to upgrade, I suggest you should rather build a desktop PC rather than gaming laptop equipped with mediocre gpu that would last for some time.
!