How can I upgrade my laptop's graphics card?

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-SV915 and it says it has an expresscard slot.
What type of graphics card would be compatible with it?
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade laptop graphics card
  1. The simple answer is none.

There are (rumors of) some external boxes (like the ASUS XG station) that will house any single card width PCI-E graphics card, but I've never seen the XG Station actually hit the market. I have seen some competitor's solutions, but at a cost where it would be more reasonable to get a new system.

The main problem is the bandwidth of the expresscard slot. You're limited to PCI-Ex1 and all mid-range to high-end cards are going to be severely capped by that limitation; to the point of it being a waste of money.

-Wolf sends
  2. thats they simple answer but if you want a bit more out of it max the ram
  3. Wolfshadw said:
    The simple answer is none.

There are (rumors of) some external boxes (like the ASUS XG station) that will house any single card width PCI-E graphics card, but I've never seen the XG Station actually hit the market. I have seen some competitor's solutions, but at a cost where it would be more reasonable to get a new system.

The main problem is the bandwidth of the expresscard slot. You're limited to PCI-Ex1 and all mid-range to high-end cards are going to be severely capped by that limitation; to the point of it being a waste of money.

-Wolf sends

So if I bought something from here:
    http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/index.html
    it would work?
  4. ptto911 said:
    So if I bought something from here:
    http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/index.html
    it would work?

those look like server stuff, VERY expensive and utterly useless in your situation...

edit: oops correction, the first ones look like they could work just fine... might still cost a quite a lot thou...
  5. Kari said:
    those look like server stuff, VERY expensive and utterly useless in your situation...

edit: oops correction, the first ones look like they could work just fine... might still cost a quite a lot thou...

Yeah, I would get that, except that it's 2x the price of my laptop.
    I should get a new laptop with a better graphics card built in I guess...
  6. If gaming is the reason for the need to upgrade, I suggest you should rather build a desktop PC rather than gaming laptop equipped with mediocre gpu that would last for some time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Laptops Toshiba Graphics Product