Sign in with
Your question

Old hd isnt working in new pc

Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2011 1:14:32 AM

Hey everyone,

Ok here is the deal. Updated my hd around 2 yrs ago in my old pc, and I decided to update my pc after that. I figured I could save the old hd for pics and stuff in the new pc. Thought this was going to be an easy thing to do, but not the case at all.

My dilemma is this: I have the new pc and the old hd, but no way to get the files and pics off the old hd.

The new system is sata system, does the type of hd matter, and the motherboard is ASUS m4n68t-m-v2. The old hd is ide. I plugged the ide in and set everything up the way I thought would work.

Here it goes:

1. Single or Master is my jumper setting on the old hd (wd2500), and that is plugged in to the last plug on the ide cord. (Blue one is plugged into the motherboard)

2. Power cord is good.

3. Bios loads up and it recognizes the two hd's both, but when I go into the device manager it only has the one sata one.

HELP PLEASE....

More about : isnt working

a b V Motherboard
a c 300 G Storage
May 13, 2011 12:22:54 PM

Please check if the BIOS requires you to _enable_ the legacy IDE port. Some BIOSes do. If the drive is already recognized in the BIOS, that is another issue...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 13, 2011 12:54:26 PM

What does the drive look like when you view it in disk management? Does it show as raw, unallocated, or can you see the partition(s) on it?
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2011 6:31:53 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Please check if the BIOS requires you to _enable_ the legacy IDE port. Some BIOSes do. If the drive is already recognized in the BIOS, that is another issue...

How do I do this? When I load the bios up it loads up with the new hd, cdrom, and the old hd. In the device manager there is only the one new hd. Disk manager there is nothing but the two drives, the one new hd and the mirror smaller recovery partition.
m
l
May 13, 2011 6:32:31 PM

Oh yeah I forgot the new hd is windows 7, and the old one is xp
m
l
May 13, 2011 6:34:56 PM

Also I tried alot of forumns, and found something that deleted the windows drivers for the new hd, and then search for changing hardware, and the device manager, actually registered the old hd. But then the windows auto install driver re installed the new hd drivers and it goes away. How do I turn that feature off?
m
l
May 14, 2011 3:59:40 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
What does the drive look like when you view it in disk management? Does it show as raw, unallocated, or can you see the partition(s) on it?

The old hd does not show up in the device manager.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 16, 2011 12:17:10 PM

gr8121 said:
The old hd does not show up in the device manager.

I said "disk management", not device manager. Right click on "computer" and select manage. In the left hand pane, select "disk management".
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 18, 2011 11:09:29 AM

Try setting the jumper on the drive to Master. That could be the issue.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 18, 2011 11:52:22 AM

runswindows95 said:
Try setting the jumper on the drive to Master. That could be the issue.

In the OP's first post he states he set the drive to single/master.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 18, 2011 12:00:08 PM

Wow, tricky situation. Is the drive the only thing running on IDE? If not, can you temporarily disconnect it and see if the drive shows up. Also, make sure the chipset drivers are up to date.
m
l
May 18, 2011 12:12:39 PM

There are IDE to USB connectors available . Try if your new system can detect it as an external USB drive
m
l
May 18, 2011 2:53:13 PM

stormchazer said:
There are IDE to USB connectors available . Try if your new system can detect it as an external USB drive

I think I might try that to see if that works. I am fine with not using the extra hd for storage. I am sure that once I get the usb connector I can still recover the files I need then clean the drive. Right?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 18, 2011 3:14:18 PM

If you are able to get it to work in an external enclousure, copy off all necessary data, then you can simply format the drive to erase the old content.
m
l
May 30, 2011 10:32:06 PM

No it did not work with the enclosure. I still have everything the same and nothing in the disk management and device manager
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
May 31, 2011 11:50:37 AM

That's just odd. If possible, I'd try it in a different computer.
m
l
May 31, 2011 3:10:36 PM

The other pc I have available is a windows 7 laptop..... Kind of the same issue I think.
m
l
!