Your question

Issues with Catalyst

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2009 10:11:34 PM

Greetings. I recently built a desktop, and have been fighting with Catalyst ever since I first installed it. The problem is this: Catalyst will lag my entire system, even when i have no applications open. The lag disappears when I finally get frustrated and end Catalyst's process. I have tried opening the Catalyst Control Center to change the settings, but I am unable to do anything, as it goes into a constant state of checking for updates. I have also tried to uninstall Catalyst and start from scratch, but the uninstall fails before even attempting to uninstall.

I am currently running Windows 7 Build 7100. My graphics card is an XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850. I am planning on crossfiring, so I would like to fix this issue right away. Thanks in advance. Here is my system info:

Motherboard: MSI X58 PRO-E
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, 2.67 GHz
GFX: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850, 1 GB
RAM: 3x OCZ 2 GB, 3x Corsair 2 GB

More about : issues catalyst

August 24, 2009 10:26:49 PM

I have .Net 3.5 installed. I looked at Catalyst Control Center, and I made a mistake. It's not checking for updates, it says that system settings have been changed and it is synchronizing. Sorry about that.
m
l
August 25, 2009 12:02:37 AM

I do have have Visual Studio 2008 Professional installed. If I am not mistaken, I believe that this has its own version of a few DLLs that it uses. Could this possibly be the problem?
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2009 4:04:47 AM

I have Visual Studio 2008(C, C++, C#,VB) on my system and here's how i update my ATI driver to get around with the .Frame conflict. Third party software such as drive sweeper don't address this issue.

These procedure works...Even if you don't have Visual-Studio in your machine.

Say for example you are to upgrade from 9-6 to 9-7 ATI driver...

To Un-install and old driver (example 9-6)

1) Log in as Administrator account
2) Open a command prompt
3) Go to your ATI drivers , likely in the location as shown on

C:\ATI\Support\9-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Bin64

/* The 9-7 or new software package can un-install the older. The line below will apply. In fact this is what i did the last time */

C:\ATI\Support\9-7_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Bin64

4) Type "ATIsetup.exe -Uninstall"

5) This will un-install ATI drives in command Prompt
6) Log out and restart...

To Install New Driver (Example 9-7)

1) Login as Administrator
2) You will have big characters and icons as your system will be on default VGA mode.
3) Open a command prompt
4) Go to your ATI drivers , likely in the location as shown

C:\ATI\Support\9-7_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Bin64
5) Type "ATIsetup.exe -Install - output screen"
6) Let the process to complete... You will see series of dots walk on the command screen. When completed the default ATI installation summary will be displayed on the screen.
7) When complete restart and login.... The PC should run with new ATI driver.

That should do it....

To display the different option on the ATI installer you can type
" ATIsetup.exe -?"

Good Luck
m
l
August 25, 2009 4:06:27 AM

The procedure should enable you to unsintall and install new ATI driver withou the use of 3rd party software.

m
l
August 26, 2009 12:25:37 AM

I have tried this procedure, and the errors persist. In addition to this, I ended up doing a clean install of windows, and installing catalyst without visual studio, and I am still having these problems. Therefore I don't think that this has anything to do with visual studio. Anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed that Windows did not go into the big text/icons VGA mode after the uninstall. Also, while the install did seem to finish successfull, I did receive this error during the process:

"Package Manager The driver package did not preinstall because files that are referenced by the INF file could not be found."
m
l
August 26, 2009 1:02:38 PM

When did you install your video card driver before or after installing mother(chipset) drivers?

Have you tested your hardware on XP or vista before and get confirmation that it works?

m
l
August 27, 2009 8:07:43 PM

I was unsure what order I did it in, so I checked that my motherboard's drivers were installed, and I uninstalled and reinstalled catalyst, using the method that you had posted above. That took care of the installation error, but Catalyst is still giving me the same problems.

I unfortunately do not have a copy of xp or vista or run this off of.

I have noticed that while I cannot do anything when opening Catalyst - Advanced, if I open Catalyst - Wizard, it will run. However, when i try to change any of the graphics settings, it automatically changes them back to the default.
m
l
August 28, 2009 4:47:48 AM

eolsen...
-- Video card installation should be after motherboard(chipset) driver installation.
-- You confirmed that the procedure works for un-install/install of ATI driver

Make sure that you have the lates BIOS for your motherboard. At list check that your BIOS supports Windows7. It should but making sure and checking is not bad.

No OC settings right? Please confirm. Make it work first before going OC mode...

Can you elaborate or detail when you state "it automatically changes them back to default"

What is your power supply? What brand and capacity? We need to make sure that there is sufficient power when the software try to make use of the "hardware".
m
l
August 29, 2009 9:45:04 PM

The bios supports Windows 7, and I am not overclocking. The problem I was having was that everytime I would move a slider, it would automatically move it back to its original position. My PSU is Corsair TX750W.

It doesn't really matter anymore. I ended up returning my 4850, and picking up an nVidia Geforce GTX 260. Everything runs great now! Thanks for your help.
m
l
August 29, 2009 10:20:33 PM

Thanks for the update.
m
l
!