Sign in with
Your question

Any changes needed to this Core i7 config?

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2009 5:59:00 AM

CRAP!! SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST. OFF TO A GREAT START, I AM :-P

I'm probably going to get my a** handed to me for this, but this is my first ever post here, and - quite honestly - I'm not sure if this is 1) the appropriate place to post this type of question, or 2) if I'm presenting this information in an acceptable way. So I won't be offended if folks put me in my place, but am hoping this is all copacetic:

Ok, I've configured a PC at cyberpowerpc.com (who seems to be a reputable outfit; let me know if you don't share that sentiment), and would like anyone to chime in w/ any thoughts related to:

- oversights I may have made on parts chosen
- parts that I may want to consider including
- whether or not I'm getting a really good rig for the given price (that's my perception at this point)
- any other thoughts or comments

I'm going to convey the list of components in two ways: 1) Listing them all in this post; and 2) Providing the url that will (hopefully) take you to the actual page where everything is configured. Hopefully this isn't overkill. Again, if I've offended anyone by posting something that really doesn't belong here, or asked for advice that is a bit unreasonable, let me know and accept my apologies. Otherwise, I'd be incredibly grateful to any and all who care to chime in with their thoughts about this PC I'm going to potentially buy for $2,242.

Here's the url to the configuration page (which I'm hoping will load for anyone; not just me):

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.asp?id=2073180

Here is the full listing of components that I chose:

* CASE: NZXT Whisper (Black Color) Full Steel Silent Tower Case
* Neon Light Upgrade: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT (BLUE COLOR)
* Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Enemax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) (1, 000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
* POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 800 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
* COOLING FAN : Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
* MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
* MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module ((Back-to-School Special Hyper-X Free Upgrade) Kingston HyperX)
* FREEBIES: FREE! 4GB USB Pen Drive
* VIDEO CARD: PNY NVIDIA Quadro NVS420 512MB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card
* Free Game: FREE GAME - Battle Stations ** Pacific **
* MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* LCD Monitor: NONE
* 2nd Monitor: NONE
* HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10, 000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS)
* Data Hard Drive: NONE
* USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
* Optical Drive: Sony 20X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* Optical Drive 2: NONE
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: None
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* MODEM: NONE
* KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
* MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
* Extra Thermal Display : Xion XON-MTR001B Color LCD Thermal Control Panel Display
* Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE
* Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
* VIDEO CAMERA: NONE
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER CABLE: None
* IEEE CARD: NONE
* USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* FLOPPY: NONE
* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
* Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon: (Free Upgrade Coupon) Microsoft® Windows® 7 Ultimate ($29-$29 Mail-In-Rebate = Free) (64-bit Edition)
* FREEBIES: None
* Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* RUSH SERVICE: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Whoops, crap!! I suppose it might be helpful to know my computing "profile", eh? Simply put, I own a small web design/development outfit (and am the primary web designer), so I'm working with Adobe CS4 a lot. I also am starting to get into some video editing (HD, eventually), and I do a TON of video conversion work - both personally and on the side for work. Most importantly, I have always wanted to have a completely over-powering PC in terms of what I actually need it for. In other words, I'm indulging myself with this (potential) purchase.

Thanks again.

More about : needed core config

August 4, 2009 6:59:12 AM

Just taking the parts into consideration, the above parts can be got for about ~1800...But taking into account the assembling, 3 years warranty and the tech support, it seems to be a decent value...
I would suggest you change the PSU to the Corsair 650TX...they are better quality and 650W is more than suffice...
And do reconsider the Raptors...they command a high price premium...but not sufficient performance increase...You can get similar performance with WD Black 640GB RAID 0 drives...
Or maybe a single SSD for OS and apps and a separate large drive for data...
August 4, 2009 8:34:26 AM

Gkay's advice is good, the only other thing to consider is maybe a better sound card? If this is for office work, and you are doing HD video editing, you might want to spring for the sound card if you have/want a nice speaker setup and need it for work. If you don't ignore what I said lol.
Related resources
August 4, 2009 9:27:42 AM

Ditch those raptors and pick up some WD Caviar Black's in 640GB or 1TB models. The rest looks ok.

FWIW, I've heard stories on both sides of the fence concerning cyberpower. Sounds like a coinflip to me.
August 4, 2009 2:20:34 PM

I'm not sure for your usage profile you really need that workstation graphics card. Unless you are doing designs that require line tracing or other such functions, an inexpensive gaming card such as the 4850 or gts250 would work well for web design and most cs4 functions. Unless you plan on doing things like 3d design imaging (ie, making a mockup of a part, then sending that part to a machine to be made in the real world) I don't really see the need for the workstation card.
I also disagree with the above advice on the soundcards. The integrated sound on x58 boards will sound as good as a separate sound card unless you are in need of a studio grade card for recording.
My only other problem is that a machine to fit your needs should only cost about $1300 if you build it yourself.
August 5, 2009 1:02:43 AM

astrodudepsu said:
Ditch those raptors and pick up some WD Caviar Black's in 640GB or 1TB models. The rest looks ok.

FWIW, I've heard stories on both sides of the fence concerning cyberpower. Sounds like a coinflip to me.

Interesting... You'd really ditch the raptors? Do they not make much of a difference? I guess I've bought too much into the whole 10k rpm thing being a major plus.

Thanks for the head's up with cyberpower too. I've since read some not-so-friendly reviews of them, and am seriously considering just going over to Puget Systems to pay more and get a bit less in terms of extras. It will be worth it, however, from what I hear, as I've heard nothing but good things about Puget in terms of the quality of their builds and their testing standards (their customer service is awesome; I've already experienced that).
August 5, 2009 1:11:27 AM

belial2k said:
I'm not sure for your usage profile you really need that workstation graphics card. Unless you are doing designs that require line tracing or other such functions, an inexpensive gaming card such as the 4850 or gts250 would work well for web design and most cs4 functions. Unless you plan on doing things like 3d design imaging (ie, making a mockup of a part, then sending that part to a machine to be made in the real world) I don't really see the need for the workstation card.
I also disagree with the above advice on the soundcards. The integrated sound on x58 boards will sound as good as a separate sound card unless you are in need of a studio grade card for recording.
My only other problem is that a machine to fit your needs should only cost about $1300 if you build it yourself.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you about the graphics card, now that I've done a bit more looking into it. I also agree with your sentiment regarding a sound card - I've got a 2.1, dinky setup, so I don't need incredible sound.

Your last comment about the price drop if I were to build instead of buy it preconfigured makes me cringe. I also hate the fact that I could cut the price of my proposed system in half if I were to build it, but here's the thing: I don't have enough faith in the notion that I could successfully build from the ground up. I did it with a PC I had four years ago, and it turned out to be pretty shoddy and the system failed all the time. I realize the technology has gotten to the point where there isn't a whole lot of guess-work involved when building your system, and it would probably be within my capabilities at this point, but I'm terrified that I'll just end up with a bunch of expensive parts that don't work well together. Something makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that my configured-online system will be thoroughly tested and put together by folks who are experts at building systems. It does suck how much extra I'll be paying, though (sigh).
August 5, 2009 1:40:03 AM

Well, I've done this link for everyone considering an i7 system. Price can't be beat...I'm a system builder and I can't build this thing for even close to this price. Its a good overall system, but overclocking the cpu will be out of the question without upgrading the MB.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
August 5, 2009 2:57:41 AM

Hi I have a setup I am looking to buy soon and I am a designer as well too. I wanted something that I could add new hardware ( the Gulftown and/or 2 Gtx 295 )and last 3-5 years. You cloud go with out the sound card and a different cpu cooler. This set up will cost me $2,130.33 or a little less with combo deals at Newegg. I plan over clocking the i7 920 3.6ghz-4.0ghz.

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...
$199.99 -$50.00 Instant $149.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

$159.99 -$10.00 Instant $149.99

NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller - Retail

$69.99 -$10.00 Instant $59.99

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$289.99 $289.99

Update

EVGA 896-P3-1173-AR GeForce GTX 275 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Video Card -
$299.99 -$10.00 Instant $289.99

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

$288.99 -$9.00 Instant $279.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
$139.99 -$40.00 Instant $199.98

G.SKILL FALCON FM-25S2S-64GBF1 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

$205.00 -$25.00 Instant $180.00

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

$79.99 $79.99

LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L - OEM

$159.99 $159.99

Update

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM

$28.99 $28.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card -
$139.99 -$12.50 Instant $127.49

ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter - Retail

$39.99 -$15.00 Instant $24.99

Update

COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20CR-GP 120mm Red LED Case Fan - Retail

$8.99

ZALMAN ZM - STG1 Thermal Compound - Retail

$9.99

CORSAIR CWCH50 Water Cooler - Retail

$69.99
August 5, 2009 3:11:10 AM

Nice!! Thanks for sharing your specs, jfields, that sounds like a nice system. The only thing I think I would have changed would be to go for 12gb of RAM but that's just me. You get quite a bit for your buck, it seems, with this setup.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have any experience or much know-how when it comes to building a system from scratch like you're going to do. I'm sure I could learn how, but I don't feel I have the time, and still do not trust myself to not screw things up. This is probably a mis-perception on my part, but I've just never looked into how to build a PC from parts. I wish I had some knowledge or experience doing this successfully. As it stands, I'll end up spending a lot more money to basically get a system that comes close to matching what yours will comprise. My problem.
August 5, 2009 5:42:27 AM

confuxion said:
Interesting... You'd really ditch the raptors? Do they not make much of a difference? I guess I've bought too much into the whole 10k rpm thing being a major plus.
There are two aspects to disk performance - latency (how long it takes to find information on the disk) and transfer rate (how long it takes to transfer it once you've found it).

I've seen some folks dissing the raptors because their transfer rate isn't that much better than the 7200rpm drives. But latency is important too - sometimes more important, and those 7200rpm drives take longer to to find the data than a raptor does. There are some mitigating factors (a high capacity 7200rpm drive can pack more data around the outermost tracks, and that can reduce average seek distance), but since latency includes an average wait time of 1/2 of a rotation of the patters, the raptors are almost always going to have the edge there.
August 5, 2009 8:29:40 AM

sminlal said:
There are two aspects to disk performance - latency (how long it takes to find information on the disk) and transfer rate (how long it takes to transfer it once you've found it).

I've seen some folks dissing the raptors because their transfer rate isn't that much better than the 7200rpm drives. But latency is important too - sometimes more important, and those 7200rpm drives take longer to to find the data than a raptor does. There are some mitigating factors (a high capacity 7200rpm drive can pack more data around the outermost tracks, and that can reduce average seek distance), but since latency includes an average wait time of 1/2 of a rotation of the patters, the raptors are almost always going to have the edge there.

true, but not not by much...and is that slight gain worth 3x the price for 1/6 the storage?
August 5, 2009 8:40:09 AM

Not for most people (myself included).

It's silly to pay 3x MORE for 1/6th the storage and only get 5-10% better performance.
!