Tags:
  • New Build
  • Performance
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2009 7:11:57 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Somewhere around August, Buying before late August.

BUDGET RANGE: ~$700 will go higher if performance is worth it

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, multi-tasking, streaming videos, and etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS system, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU an motherboard

OVERCLOCKING: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768 , changable

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Monitor Res, I change a lot to get best performance out of my games. I am a hard core gamer that seeks Performance over graphics. I pretty much want a rig that can run most games at a decent graphics(does not have to be high). I will spend more if the performance is worth it but generally looking for best bang for buck. I dont need them but if its not too much trouble, how much would a decent monitor and XPOS cost/change build. Thanks in advance

More about : gaming 700

Related resources
August 4, 2009 7:04:20 PM

How much would it be to build that pc with the same specs?
a b C Monitor
August 4, 2009 7:08:04 PM

Alot more, it is had to get an i7 in under a $1000 budget. Refurbished systems are pretty good and generally cheaper than you could build.
August 4, 2009 7:23:59 PM

This is a platform that could last you a really long time...future upgrades would be 1) you could add a second 4850 in crossfire...two of these outperform a 4890 or gtx285...estimated upgrade $50-$100, depending on when you choose to do it
2) upgrade MB to a good overclocking model...even on stock voltage you can get to at least 3.2 - 3.6, which will give you a good performance boost from stock speed. estimated cost $150 - $200, depending on when you do it and what board you choose
3) after market cooler for extreme overclocking. this will take you to 4.0 or higher for yet another performance boost...estimated cost $50.

So, even if you increase resolution and games get much more demanding you should be set for several years with minimal upgrades with this as your base system.
August 4, 2009 7:57:39 PM

oh wow this is a really good deal then huh? Thanks for the find
August 4, 2009 8:43:06 PM

hmm bit worried about it being refurbished, is the $100 worth it?
a b C Monitor
August 4, 2009 9:04:32 PM

Refurbished means that someone reassembled it by hand and sat down and made sure everything work properly. Often times refurbished products go through higher QC to make sure that there arent any issues remaining.
August 4, 2009 9:38:28 PM

thats what i read, now how do i convince my mother? shes more set on risking me screw up self building one than getting a refurbished rig
August 4, 2009 10:52:15 PM

If she is too worried about it she could spring for the extended warranty. Compusa has a rock solid 30day return, and the extended warranties sound just as good. You should explain to her that if you got this you won't have to bug her for another computer as long as you are under her roof since it will last a lot longer than the other one without needing upgraded significantly....and if you do decide on upgrades you can probably come up with the money yourself since they won't cost a lot.
August 4, 2009 10:55:09 PM

I forgot in my list of upgrades you can do in the future a ram upgrade might be needed at some point also....but the system "as is" is more than you need now, so those upgrades will probably be a long way down the line.
August 4, 2009 11:02:39 PM

have her read this thread and ask questions if she likes
August 4, 2009 11:34:38 PM

make sure u get an amd , if anyone utters intel, ignor them
a b C Monitor
August 4, 2009 11:35:50 PM

Huh? That refurb is a pretty sweet deal and its intel, why shouldnt he go for it?

I really wish people would start giving reasons and not just stating unsubstantiated opinions like facts.
August 4, 2009 11:38:36 PM

its refurb, someones used it b4 him, eeew.
a b C Monitor
August 4, 2009 11:39:47 PM

And then it got send back to gateway, taken apart, fix, put back together, and run through a battery of tests, it is likely better than it was when it was new.
August 4, 2009 11:51:56 PM

y didnt annebody tell me it was an i7, go for it dude, just clean it with sanitizer b4 u use it
dudes getting an i7 for 700 bucks, y dost the site with yonder build seem reminiscent of tigerdirecteth.
August 5, 2009 12:12:58 AM

Does that refurbished i7 have crossfire and sli?
August 5, 2009 12:33:32 AM

yes, all x58 do, but it comes with a 4850 already in it. That is why I said his first upgrade when the time comes will be a second 4850.
August 5, 2009 12:42:39 AM

not all x58 mobos support sli, 1 or 2 only use cfr
August 5, 2009 1:58:09 AM

hmmm...that is news to me. Do you have the examples? One of the parameters of the chipset is supposed to be support for both.
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2009 2:10:00 AM

the asus p6t supports both, the asus p6t SE only supports crossfire because SLI has a licensing fee so it keeps the board cheaper.
August 5, 2009 2:27:31 AM

I've never used the SE, but I have used the other versions of the p6t which supported both. They should make that very clear, or not call it a true x58...I would buy it blindly thinking it supported both.
Although on the refurb the upgrade path has already been set since it comes with a solid ati card to begin with, but I would have to do a little investigation to see if they are using the SE version as the MB in that unit. They do not list the MB maker, just that it has 2x pcix16 slots.
August 5, 2009 3:44:37 PM

What is the maximum memory speed and would it make a difference if I got another 4850 1gb edition?? The difference is the memory only?? I know if they had different clocks it would move to the lower one. thanks
August 5, 2009 4:00:39 PM

No sense buying a 1gb to crossfire with a 512gb, get the cheaper 512gb. At lower resolutions the extra ram won't help any anyway. I'm not sure I understand the memory speed question, but if you mean overclocking the 4850 I can't give a good answer to what your overclock will be, but you can probably get "close" to 4870 speeds.
August 5, 2009 4:05:10 PM

No, no, no. I mean like the ddr3 ram runs at 1066 mhz. What is the maximum speed the motherboard will allow. Like 2000??? 1866???
I will likely be playing at 1920x1080 resolution.
I will not most likely be overclocking the videocards.
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2009 4:09:38 PM

If its an ASUS p6t board or any variation of it it will support up to 2000MHz memory, but you should get memory rated for that if you want to be able to stably overclock it that high.
August 5, 2009 4:37:56 PM

Overclocking the ram is build specific also. Test have shown speeds of over 1333mhz make little to no difference, but tighten the timings and you will have a noticeable improvement in ram performance. So my best advice is to get 1600mhz ram (the sweet spot as far as pricing goes right now), underclock it and tighten the timings for the best ram performance.
August 5, 2009 4:44:33 PM

lol...check the third post in this thread....that is what we've been talking about almost the whole thread
August 5, 2009 5:18:30 PM

hunter315 said:
If its an ASUS p6t board or any variation of it it will support up to 2000MHz memory, but you should get memory rated for that if you want to be able to stably overclock it that high.

How do you do that?
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2009 5:29:17 PM

How was this thread completely hijacked by jdelsignore911? I thought the thread was started by iamchinaman.
a b C Monitor
August 5, 2009 5:47:36 PM

The only reason that the prebuilt is a good value is because it is refurbished, the i7 one is signficantly stronger than any core2quad prebuilt for less.
August 5, 2009 6:29:18 PM

hunter315 said:
The only reason that the prebuilt is a good value is because it is refurbished, the i7 one is signficantly stronger than any core2quad prebuilt for less.

Hello hunter315, you might not remember me but you gave a great advice here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] d#t1967554

I ended up paying $100 more than my budget to buy this prebuilt one after following your comment here. I hope that I made a good decision. Thank you again!

For those who want to buy this one, don't forget to use bing.com cashback (5%). I earned $35, Yeay~!
August 7, 2009 5:16:47 AM

lol thread hijack. Well I got it! The cpu is here but i wont be able to test this babe out till my monitor gets here. hopfully there will be no problems. Thanks again on the find!
August 13, 2009 2:53:26 AM

I also got the gateway machine, FX6800-01e. It looks quite nice, and the Windows Experience Index Score is 5.9 in all areas. :pt1cable: 

However, I quickly learned that temperature is very high--116C in Temp1? Well, I can boil the water with this temp.

I have no idea what gives that high temperature, and it concerns me very much. :(  :sweat: 

Any advice or suggestions?
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2009 3:01:12 AM

push pin cooler ftl! Check the CPU cooler and make sure that the push pins are securely in place, it sounds like the CPU cooler may be a bit loose, likely happened during shipping.
August 13, 2009 4:37:21 AM

I opened the cover and checked the CPU cooler. It was firm, and even it was crewed in. I made sure it was tight. I brought my big house fan and let it blow air while the side cover was opened. It is now 89C.

There is a post regarding this issue, it seems like it needs some surgery. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262637-28-what-accept...

Is it worth to go direction or return it and start it over.

I feel a bit frustrated. :cry: 
August 13, 2009 6:13:01 AM

iamchinaman said:
lol thread hijack. Well I got it! The cpu is here but i wont be able to test this babe out till my monitor gets here. hopfully there will be no problems. Thanks again on the find!

Your welcome, I hope it will serve you well. Keep us posted on performance when the monitor arrives.
August 13, 2009 7:04:36 AM

belial2k said:
Your welcome, I hope it will serve you well. Keep us posted on performance when the monitor arrives.

I hope he doesn't have the same problem that I am currently having, very high temperature!

:fou: 

Let me know how your new pc works.
August 13, 2009 7:16:23 AM

are you sure the temps are accurate? Sometimes if you use a different utility to read the temps you will get a very different result. You might also check all your fans and make sure they didn't come loose during shipping.
!