Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Hard Drives Problem

Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2011 8:29:13 AM

Hi

So...

I have the ASUS P6T Mainboard. I have 6 hard disks installed at the moment. All 6 of them are Sata2 hdd's. I have used up all 6 of the connectors on the board and so i have installed a SATA PCI card in the PCI express slot to give me an extra 2 sata ports.
However, i am trying to install a 500GB 3.5" HDD and a 500GB 2.5" HDD. The problem is that BIOS is not recognizing them and niether is Windows 7 64bit. :( 

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Also would it be possible to RAID 1 both of the above hard disks?

One hdd is a Samsung 2.5" 500GB 7200rpm 16MB and the other is a Western Digital 500GB 16MB Blue model.

Thanks!
May 13, 2011 9:19:32 AM

Also i have a DVD Drive Sata to be connected too...

I really need some help guys thanks!
a c 378 G Storage
May 13, 2011 11:57:30 AM

Did you install the drivers for the sata card? I don't think the bios will see those drive as it will only see the controller. Once windows loads the controller card drivers it should see the drives.

As for RAID, you typically want to use the same make/model of drive. You may be able to get away with what you got, but different access times and other variables may cause a performance degradation.
Related resources
a c 301 G Storage
May 13, 2011 12:12:50 PM

Can you just buy some 2 TB drives instead, and replace the smaller drives already in your machine? It might be simpler.
May 13, 2011 12:12:57 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you install the drivers for the sata card? I don't think the bios will see those drive as it will only see the controller. Once windows loads the controller card drivers it should see the drives.

As for RAID, you typically want to use the same make/model of drive. You may be able to get away with what you got, but different access times and other variables may cause a performance degradation.

The card works without drivers, however i shall try and download some drivers for it and when i get home from work i'll give it a shot

Thanks for the reply

May 13, 2011 12:18:00 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Can you just buy some 2 TB drives instead, and replace the smaller drives already in your machine? It might be simpler.

I don't want to spend any more money :) 
May 13, 2011 12:22:02 PM

These are the HDD i'd like to have all connected at one go...

2 x WD 500gb
1 x Hitachi 750gb
1 x Hitachi 1TB
1 x WD 1TB Black Edition
the above are currently connected and working...

the below are the ones i would like to add

WD 500GB Blue Edition
Samsung 500GB 2.5"

I would also like to have my DVD drive connected too...

I have 6 ports on the mobo all used up and i have an AsRock Sata2 controller in the PCI-E x1 slot. However i dont have the drivers for it :( 

a c 378 G Storage
May 13, 2011 12:51:12 PM

The sata controller didn't come with a drivers disk? Also, what make/model of sata card did you get. I can't seem to find any info on Asrock's site, just motherboards.

Also, which OS are you using?
May 13, 2011 1:11:57 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The sata controller didn't come with a drivers disk? Also, what make/model of sata card did you get. I can't seem to find any info on Asrock's site, just motherboards.

Also, which OS are you using?

it was one that came with a mobo, my mate gave me the card
a c 378 G Storage
May 13, 2011 1:21:34 PM

Lingliz said:
it was one that came with a mobo, my mate gave me the card

Just so I understand clearly, the SATA2 PCIe card came packaged with a different motherboard?

If so, then your mate probably has the disk that contains the drivers for it. If you know the make/model of his motherboard you should be able to go to the manufacturers web site and download the drivers from there also.
May 14, 2011 12:44:04 PM

The card didn't come with any drivers... device manager is recognizing it though...

Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26

when i try to update it via windows update it says that it already has the up to date drivers installed.

It's *** 2-port card, with one of the ports hooked up to *** 2.5" HDD and another port linked up to the dvd writer.

Here is *** link to the card that's troubling me: - - its an image of course...

http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mjk-t...
May 15, 2011 1:52:55 PM

any ideas?
May 15, 2011 2:29:14 PM

Lingliz said:
The card didn't come with any drivers... device manager is recognizing it though...

Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26

when i try to update it via windows update it says that it already has the up to date drivers installed.

It's *** 2-port card, with one of the ports hooked up to *** 2.5" HDD and another port linked up to the dvd writer.

Here is *** link to the card that's troubling me: - - its an image of course...

http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mjk-t...

I can't read the writing, but the picture makes it look like it is not a RAID card. If so, you can't do RAID on it, of course.

The card should show up in the POST. It should also show the drives, during that time. If it doesn't, you are spending a lot of time on a card that doesn't cost much to replace.

It is possible for Windows to load the wrong drivers for a card. I have had this happen and it is very difficult to force Windows to load the right drivers from you disk when that happens.
a c 378 G Storage
May 16, 2011 12:14:20 PM

Since it is a Intel ICH10, it makes sense that you didn't need to install drivers as windows already has drivers for that.

I agree with dmcomputerg the card may be defective. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer's support?
!